View post (favorite guitarist?)

View thread

Willdridge
Willdridge
07/16/2000 8:39 pm
Bravo! My sentiments exactly!...I mean, yes, I'd love to be as fast, clean and accurate as Yngwie, Gamable, Vai...but to be perfectly honest, if I could make a song that would get people dancing, clapping, singing, smiling by simply using C F G every time, I'd prefer to do that (A little exaturated, but I think my points clear)...It's great that these guys can do this...but they never know when NOT to do it. I've listened the Yngwie "Odysey Rising Force" many a time and thought...man this isn't a bad song!...Oh, wait, solo....man, it's so f*ckin' predictable!"....Yeah, as a budding guitarist, I'm impressed, I'm awe-struck, I'm inspired to play fast...BUT THAT'S IT!...As a young and inexperienced musican, it doesn't do anything for me...Sure, that's a few good ideas, pedal notes, string skipping, dimished runs...but look at classical guitar studies, rock, country, you name...I'll find this stuff elsewhere!...I'm not saying that shredding is a waste of time, It's your opinion, if you can see a deep and beauty meaning hidden behind the 3000 notes, well done!...But, be aware that the typical guitarist and, more importantly, the typical music listener simply isn't "turned on" by it...
Just an opinion....Sorry!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.