A Basket Case?

rundogdave
rundogdave
09/21/2010 3:59 am
Bought a Memphis strat copy that is in pieces for $30. Don't know much...anything about fixing guitars. Are there any books, web sites, etc. that can learn me what to do? The neck is straight, missing frets and the nut. Body is dinged up a little, nothing a little repainting can't fix. Missing the screws and plate that hold the neck on. Some of the bride parts like the springs and cover are gone as well. Is Stewart McDonald a good place to get parts? It is only worth $175 in pristine condition. I can get all the parts for about $100, but the labor would cost at least that much more. Plus I would like to do it myself. Any suggestions? :confused: Sorry for the long winded question.
I am what I am, but I aint what I use to be. :p
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/21/2010 12:19 pm
Stew Mac is a great place for supplies, but you might want to check out http://store.guitarfetish.com/ to get some good prices.

Also try eBay for parts.

For building advice & tutorials, try http://www.projectguitar.com/
That site and the forums there have been a great resource for me. I advise you do as much research as you can before posting on the forums.

You can pretty much Google and YouTube almost any info you need. Doesn't sound like you need a whole lot to get that geet up and running. Good luck!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
rundogdave
rundogdave
09/22/2010 1:16 am
Thanks for the info. Put those sites in my favorites. I guess since I only payed $30 for it, if I butcher it, it will not hurt much. Thanks again. :)
I am what I am, but I aint what I use to be. :p
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/22/2010 12:49 pm
IMHO, I highly recommend that anyone do what you are doing. There is no better way to learn about your instrument than building or rebuilding one. You can learn so much because you have to look at all those parts as separate units and not the guitar as a whole. And it doesn't have to cost a lot!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.