theory questions

shahnen
shahnen
09/11/2010 6:01 am
hey i already have i basic understanding of music theory (i read the complete idiots guide to music theory:second edition) is it worth it to go more advanced and get the book harmony by waltor piston? i play rock and roll and i wanna b the best i can possibly be. thanks
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/11/2010 3:24 pm
Originally Posted by: shahnenhey i already have i basic understanding of music theory (i read the complete idiots guide to music theory:second edition) is it worth it to go more advanced and get the book harmony by waltor piston? i play rock and roll and i wanna b the best i can possibly be. thanks

Walter Piston's books are outstanding. I can absolutely guarantee you will learn a lot about harmony from that book. However, using that book to learn rock & roll guitar music might be like trying to kill a housefly with a tank. :)

I would start something a step above the "Idiot" book before you go to Piston. Since you have access to GT, start here with my tutorials covering a lot of this material.

Music Theory Overview
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495

Circle Of Fifths
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=835

The most important thing about theory is how you apply it.

Piston's book is brilliant. However, it teaches harmony by demonstrating tonal harmonic functions by example using standard Baroque & Classical pieces. Unless you are already very familiar with the standard repertoire from Bach, Beethoven & Brahms, etc. you might be in way over your head. And it also assumes you already understand functional harmony and are ready to apply that basic understanding to musical pieces (orchestrations & piano pieces).

More to the point, it has nothing about applying music theory to playing the guitar, much less rock and roll. Since you want to play rock & roll on the guitar, you might benefit from a book that approaches theory from that perspective. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Fretboard-Mastery-Book/dp/0793597897

Check out my music theory tutorials. And remember, I can point you to tons of other GT tutorials that will also show you more about how to learn theory and apply it to rock guitar playing. :) Have fun with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jetewabbie
jetewabbie
09/17/2010 10:55 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelWalter Piston's books are outstanding. I can absolutely guarantee you will learn a lot about harmony from that book. However, using that book to learn rock & roll guitar music might be like trying to kill a housefly with a tank. :)

I would start something a step above the "Idiot" book before you go to Piston. Since you have access to GT, start here with my tutorials covering a lot of this material.

Music Theory Overview
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495

Circle Of Fifths
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=835

The most important thing about theory is how you apply it.

Piston's book is brilliant. However, it teaches harmony by demonstrating tonal harmonic functions by example using standard Baroque & Classical pieces. Unless you are already very familiar with the standard repertoire from Bach, Beethoven & Brahms, etc. you might be in way over your head. And it also assumes you already understand functional harmony and are ready to apply that basic understanding to musical pieces (orchestrations & piano pieces).

More to the point, it has nothing about applying music theory to playing the guitar, much less rock and roll. Since you want to play rock & roll on the guitar, you might benefit from a book that approaches theory from that perspective. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Fretboard-Mastery-Book/dp/0793597897

Check out my music theory tutorials. And remember, I can point you to tons of other GT tutorials that will also show you more about how to learn theory and apply it to rock guitar playing. :) Have fun with it!

In the first video about Intervals from the link above to "Tutorial: Music Theory: a Brief Overview" you mention a previous Internals tutorial. Can you give me a link to that? I have zero music theory knowledge and want to study it. Do you have a video to start me from the very beginning?
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/17/2010 12:38 pm
Originally Posted by: jetewabbieIn the first video about Intervals from the link above to "Tutorial: Music Theory: a Brief Overview" you mention a previous Internals tutorial. Can you give me a link to that?

At the botttom of the lesson page text on that lesson is a link to the tutorial on Intervals.

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=362

That tutorial is part of Guitar Fundamentals 2. If you just keep going through the Intervals lessons (hit the Next button!) you gradually work through the very basics in intervals, scales, triads & how chords & scales are related to each other.

Essentially the first four chapters in GF2 are a primer in music theory for guitar. :)

Then you can go back to the Music Theory & Circle of Fifths tutorials to get more in depth. Please ask if you have questions. Have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
gdengelbrecht
gdengelbrecht
04/01/2012 10:48 pm
Originally Posted by: shahnenhey i already have i basic understanding of music theory (i read the complete idiots guide to music theory:second edition) is it worth it to go more advanced and get the book harmony by waltor piston? i play rock and roll and i wanna b the best i can possibly be. thanks

I personally believe one should only invest time into studying if you will for a fact apply the new knowledge because otherwise it will be dormant knowledge and you won't benefit from the extra information your brain now holds.

If you are looking to become a better another possibility is by developing and refining what you already have and perfecting that.
# 5
David Bereuther
David Bereuther
04/03/2012 8:06 pm

A good idea might be also to get a good teacher (if you haven't one) and let him decide what really is important for your playing skills at the moment. Do not waste your time on theory stuff that does not matter for where you are NOW at the moment.
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/03/2012 11:11 pm
2 year old thread
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.