Emo Post: Quitting my band

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/17/2010 5:20 pm
It's only been a month, but I just can't take the Br00talz Shredding any more. Letting "my band" know I'm out today. I'm kind of bummed, because it's nothing personal at all (we are all good friends new and old), and it was a ton of fun and was really forcing my skills to improve. I just have quickly lost all tolerance for the Metal. That's it. Done. At least I know now I just don;t like Metal. I always suspected, but never knew for sure. :D

But it's been a really good experience even for such a short time. It got me out playing with a full band and, more importantly, in front of people, so I gained some necessary confidence. I have an ad on the local Kijiji looking for a new experience and will check out a few ads of other people's after work.

But I'm still sad. I had to bleed here for a minute. :p
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/17/2010 7:43 pm
Don't feel sad. You can't help what you're into. If you still want to, there will be other people to play with. Kinda like that old saying, you can't help who you love.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/17/2010 7:54 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerDon't feel sad. You can't help what you're into. If you still want to, there will be other people to play with. Kinda like that old saying, you can't help who you love.

I knew I could count on ya, buddy! :D
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/17/2010 11:01 pm
I got your back sweetheart.
# 4
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
08/18/2010 3:04 am
first thing that popped into my head was...no actually that was the second thing... ok the first thing was 'quitting a band is always unfortunate', the second thing was 'there is metal without the shredding' (I dislike shredding)

actually after reading your story it sounds rather good, you had fun, you learned tons of stuff and you made clear what is not your style of music!

as Ricky B here said, you'll find new peepz! we'll never leave you!
= good music is good drinking =
# 5
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/18/2010 11:30 am
Originally Posted by: GuitarPsy
as Ricky B here said, you'll find new peepz! we'll never leave you!

ha, thanks for the support! There were some conciliatory talks last night and we're supposed to be picking up some Queen, Zep and Audioslave next. We'll see. Turns out the drummer (though still leaning heavier than I do) dislikes this speed metal-ish stuff, too, so I think the influence might swing a bit.

I've decided to see how it goes, but in the meantime have also advertised locally for Blues & Old Rock players. It's always nice to have choices, ya know? One other thing this has taught me is being back in a band it pretty freaking cool. :)
# 6
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
08/22/2010 8:03 am
So whats the latest?
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/22/2010 12:12 pm
Last practice was last night, and it went pretty well. There's been work on the Audioslave tune, a new metal tune (an original one which I actually like), and the vocalist is working on the Queen tune, so we should be ready for that one next session.

I think a lot of it is just meshing with each other. Usually I have controlled the show (being solo) or at least the beat (being drummer in my past musical life), so maybe I've been as frustrated from that not being the fact as anything, but just not realizing it. I need to learn to compromise and at the same time, not get rolled over.

It helps a lot that the drummer feels much the same way as I do. The other gutarist is stubbornly metal, but with two of us to influence, it's finding a balance.

I quite enjoyed things last night, and I have to say since playing with these guys, my own skill has taken a quick jump for the better.

p.s. BTW, I got that old amp of my Dad's and posted it here
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32441
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/29/2010 8:05 pm
Its good to see you maturing musically and professionally. Enjoy what you do - you always play better when you like the music and the people you play with.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.