Eric Johnson Strat

mongo149
mongo149
08/14/2010 4:04 am
I notice that Fender has a little detail on the Eric Johnson Strat (Maple and rosewood). It says that there is no paint between the tremolo base plate and block. Can you explain to me what exactly this means? I'm trying to increase the resonance on my Stratocaster and it's all apart right now and I'm trying to do this mod but frankly, I have no idea what exactly I need to sand away. Is it all the varnish in the whole back cavity of the guitar? Thanks

One more question... I notice when I play my Stratocaster that there is quite a buzzing sound and "feel" when I play it. It has a good setup with an action that isn't too low, properly adjusted truss rod, etc. The nut should also be cut properly because I had it professionally set up not too long ago. The buzzing doesn't happen with open strings unless I pick really hard. When fretting, there's no specific place it happens on the fretboard, just all over. It's mostly on the bottom 2 strings (E and A) but if I pick hard enough it's all over. This whole thing just makes the neck seem not very playable, and it's kind of irritating. If it makes a difference, the neck has a 9.5" radius. I hope my description was detailed enough and hopefully you can help because it's pretty irritating! haha.

Sorry for asking an unrelated second question in a thread, I just though it would be easier to ask both at the same time.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/14/2010 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: mongo149I notice that Fender has a little detail on the Eric Johnson Strat (Maple and rosewood). It says that there is no paint between the tremolo base plate and block. Can you explain to me what exactly this means? I'm trying to increase the resonance on my Stratocaster and it's all apart right now and I'm trying to do this mod but frankly, I have no idea what exactly I need to sand away. Is it all the varnish in the whole back cavity of the guitar? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I'm no tech, but it's a major hobby. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'd suggest the description is literal. If you unscrew the block from the baseplate, you may find it chromed (or other wise covered) between that contact point.

You might want to consider getting a brass block. These are supposed to do wonders for tone & sustain and cost about $35 or so. Not all the Strats (MIA/MIM/MIJ) have precisely the same measurements, so make sure to find out what your particular specs are.

[QUOTE=mongo149]
One more question... I notice when I play my Stratocaster that there is quite a buzzing sound and "feel" when I play it. It has a good setup with an action that isn't too low, properly adjusted truss rod, etc. The nut should also be cut properly because I had it professionally set up not too long ago. The buzzing doesn't happen with open strings unless I pick really hard. When fretting, there's no specific place it happens on the fretboard, just all over. It's mostly on the bottom 2 strings (E and A) but if I pick hard enough it's all over. This whole thing just makes the neck seem not very playable, and it's kind of irritating. If it makes a difference, the neck has a 9.5" radius. I hope my description was detailed enough and hopefully you can help because it's pretty irritating! haha.

Sorry for asking an unrelated second question in a thread, I just though it would be easier to ask both at the same time.

IF it's all otherwise ok (level frets, properly set up relief, etc, then I'd say you might need to raise your action. Standard Fender specs put it at about 4/64 at the 17th, which would make it close to 3/64 at the 12th. (Measured with a capo on the first fret.) It's common to gradually add another 1/64 on the bass side (blended across the strings E to e.)

And Fenders are just buzzy that way. It's part of their charm! :) (And why you need to be a better player to play a Strat well!) :D

Specifically what kind of Strat are you trying to mod? What are the actual measurements of your relief and action? What kind of frets, saddles, etc?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.