Stuck in a rut with my playing

Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
07/29/2010 1:51 am
Hey everybody. I feel like I'm in a rut with my guitar playing. When I go to practice I'll practice my scales, then I'll jam over some backing tracks then I'll practice what I'm learning in my guitar lesson that week. After that I want to learn more but I don't know what to practice. Can you guys help me out? Thanks! Also I'm a Full Access member to Guitartricks so if you guys find any cool lessons on here feel free to send me a link.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"-Victor Hugo
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/29/2010 2:14 am
Originally Posted by: Dom IGHey everybody. I feel like I'm in a rut with my guitar playing. When I go to practice I'll practice my scales, then I'll jam over some backing tracks then I'll practice what I'm learning in my guitar lesson that week. After that I want to learn more but I don't know what to practice. Can you guys help me out? Thanks! Also I'm a Full Access member to Guitartricks so if you guys find any cool lessons on here feel free to send me a link.

You might try getting down a list of cover tunes. Learn a new one each week or so. That will add something you don't seem to have on your list.

If you happen along an artist you particularly like and there is a study on here, you can go into one of those.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/29/2010 3:53 am
Stop practicing. Start playing something. Use what you have learned so far to come up with some chord progressions, some rhythms. Make up a few nice licks.

Also, I'm a HUGE advocate for taking a break. I've taken as much as two weeks off from touching my guitar come back and I'm feeling fresh and ideas just start flowing.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 3
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
07/29/2010 4:09 am
Hey guys. Thanks for the tips. I'm learning a song right now already and I've already come up with some nice riffs recently. And Rick I can't really take a break because I have a guitar lesson every week and I have to practice.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"-Victor Hugo
# 4
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
08/01/2010 6:29 pm
Any other tips?
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/01/2010 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Dom IGWhen I go to practice I'll practice my scales, then I'll jam over some backing tracks then I'll practice what I'm learning in my guitar lesson that week.

What scales? How are you practicing them? What about chords? Are you practicing them also?

What are your goals? For example, can you list at least 3 things you want to accomplish? I am sure we can give you links to great GT tutorials if you can give us some specific topics or goals. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
08/02/2010 5:22 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelWhat scales? How are you practicing them? What about chords? Are you practicing them also?

What are your goals? For example, can you list at least 3 things you want to accomplish? I am sure we can give you links to great GT tutorials if you can give us some specific topics or goals. :)

Three things I want to accomplish are:
1. Getting better at coming up with riffs and being more creative.
2. Getting better at my blues playing.
3. Learning a new style.
# 7
Daniel Perskawi
Daniel Perskawi
08/08/2010 10:21 pm
I would recommend stretching yourself stylistically. Get creative, listen to some other instruments, try to imitate them, style, expression. Imitate vocalists, use your accoustic guitar as a drum, etc, etc. But most of al HAVE FUN :))
# 8
JeffS65
JeffS65
08/09/2010 10:43 pm
When it comes to guitar playing, we structure ourselves to death because we want to reach a goal. Not a bad thing, at all. However, just my two cents; music is a creative art. To be emotionally satisfying, it can't be just forward movement and improvement all the time. Part of it is to use what you have learn to just have fun with

You may already do this to some extent but I think what I'm saying is that some of what you do can, and should, have some goal if you are looking to progress.

That said, ya have to screw around a little. Dabble in other styles. Learn some chicken pickin' or jazz licks or whatever isn't what your playing now.

I alway hear licks no matter the style and want to learn them. Ok, my ADD doesn't let me focus longer than that ;)

Point being, if you eat the same dinner every night, you're going to get bored and eventually never want to eat the same thing ever again. So, give a little variety to your learning and stretch outside your goals a bit.

Just a thought.
# 9
Rescued1
Rescued1
08/11/2010 11:02 pm
I agree with learning cover tunes. i have gone off on kicks with certain artists and learned different artists use different keys to suit their voice. Bob Seeger G and C, Petty A etc As I learned each song with each artist i picked up song structure, learned key transitions, variations to minor chords for bridges etc. With Clapton I learned how to integrate a base line into the chord progression.

All this keeps it fresh. Play on Grasshopper!!!

R1
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.