Fields of Soy & Corn

BillCrandell
BillCrandell
07/21/2010 1:48 am
Here is a song I wrote and recorded. It's recorded using a computer microphone and the program Kristal:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1088542&songID=9424679

I play the guitar in order to try and express meaning through melodies and lyrics. I really enjoy folk/country acoustic style music because it is so much a part of my environment and given my playing ability, the most accessible.

The melody came to me one evening as I reflected on my hometown in southern Indiana, resting along the Ohio River. I tried to locate the melody on the fretboard, then I tried to harmonize it as best I could, building some chords around it. This is my first attempt to try and play a more melodic rhythm pattern, rather than strumming. I am trying to understand how verses, choruses, bridges and such can be incorporated into songwriting. I also want to learn more about key changes, in order to take the song somewhere else for a verse or chorus, then return back home to the key of the song, so it is not so predictable.

The older I get, the more I reflect upon my hometown and its simplistic, rural beauty. Dominating the landscape in southern Indiana are fields of soy and corn. Every year, the farmers plant and harvest. I see my parents and myself growing older and one day like the crops in the fields we will pass away, but with the hope eternal of life after death, "when the Lord comes to take me to my resting place, in heaven by God's grace..." Juxtaposed with the stationary aspect of "staying home" is a verse about a dear friend that moved away that I rarely see any longer, "Visit soon, we'll be right here waiting for you..."

The appreciation for my hometown in the song is in a way like a consolation when I think to myself, maybe things are greener elsewhere.

Hope you enjoy it,

Bill C
# 1
Crossbow
Crossbow
07/21/2010 1:55 am
Sounds pretty good to me. I was wondering how well a computer mic would work. Keep up the great work!!
Crossbow
# 2
BillCrandell
BillCrandell
07/24/2010 1:45 pm
Thanks Crossbow
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/30/2010 3:09 pm
Hey Bill, sounds good. Is there a chance you will be able to re-record it with a better mic? Was hard to really hear the guitar.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4
Jarsew
Jarsew
07/30/2010 3:29 pm
That actually sounded better than I thought it would using a computer mic, which is a compliment :p

Keep writing! And definitely consider investing in a good mic, it will be well worth it.
# 5
BillCrandell
BillCrandell
07/30/2010 6:11 pm
Thanks guys. I will research the message board for some microphone recommendations (feel free to make a recommendation or shoot me a link or two). I need to find out what type of adapter or component I need to connect the microphone to my computer's USB port(s) also. I was in Guitar Center a couple of weeks ago and talked with a customer service person. He made a recommendation that I wrote down but lost. On the way out, the girl at the front asked to see my receipt. I understand that they probably have a problem with thefts and such, but I don't like being treated like that and do not intend on going back to buy anything else from them.

Thanks again,

Bill C
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.