Is a Twin Reverb Really Practical?

Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
07/13/2010 4:59 am
Hey guys. I guess it's been a while.

Anyway, I'm in the market for a new amp, and I think I've come down to the final two.

I'm either gonna get (used) a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, or a Twin Reverb.

I love the sound, versatility, and portability of the Deluxe.
But I know with the Twin Reverb, I'll never need another amp, and will just have the most solid base to build my tone on.

Which leads me to my question: How practical is a 64 pound/85w twin reverb? I know the Hot Rod gets pretty damn loud: would that be enough for most small-medium gigs (gyms, auditoriums...up to around 300 people?)
I know it probably would...

So I guess ultimately, my question is, is sticking it out and saving a little more/suffering the pain of hauling it around really worth it for a twin reverb?
Thanks guys
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 1
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Anders Mouridsen
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/13/2010 4:31 pm
You said it. The twin is all the amp you'll ever need, but at the cost of having to haul it around. The Hot Rod is definitely loud enough, but it doesn't handle the volume as well as the twin, IMO. But a lot of people like them and they are really easy to dial and work with.

Have you tried the new Deluxe Reverbs? They sound great, and they're a size down from the twin. They play pretty loud, but break up really nicely. So I guess it comes down to whether you want loud and clean or loud and dirty?

Otherwise I'd say go with the Twin and get some Casters on it!

Let me know what you end up deciding!
-Anders
# 2
soho2014
soho2014
07/18/2010 12:31 pm
If you can stand solid state, the Frontman is the same power as the Twin Reverb, but much cheaper, and A LOT LIGHTER. It has 100w.

It's a very clean sound. You just put your effects box in front of it, and you're good to go.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.