View post (Hello all)

View thread

soho2014
soho2014
07/13/2010 3:43 am
I guess I'm zillions of years old compared to most people here, but finally I was able to afford a Fender Strat, and the desire to play never left me. I can actually play bass guitar pretty well, but nobody really wants to play bass guitar for their own enjoyment (I see it strictly as a band instrument), so I bought a 6 string to try to advance on that and entertain myself. Finally I have a nice guitar, after buying a Fender Strat American Standard Sienna finish. I just love it. When my wife plays on the 6 string, I play bass on a Fender Jazz bass. It's quite fun.

I'd classify myself as an intermediate guitarist, since I would have no problem playing any sort of barre chords for example, and my fingers are fairly comfortable on the fretboard. Where I fall down is in alternate picking, which is what I'm trying to get now. I can read music from piano, but I'd have a lot of trouble translating that to the guitar. I can probably spell out the tones of most of the chords. In the last couple of weeks I burned the pentatonic scale into my brain - all 5 patterns of it. I review those dots in my head when I'm stuck in traffic jams.

I whipped through part I here of the fundamentals at a fast speed, but I want to go through part II more carefully to make sure that I don't miss anything. I really like and appreciate the structure. I had taken some guitar lessons about 30 years ago, but the instructor just wanted to teach me 1 song after another, and I didn't know where I was going. I didn't even know what I was supposed to know, or where I was going. It just got to be pretty expensive too, and sometimes I wouldn't remember what was taught the week before. I was also a bit of a pain to always have to travel there for the lesson. So these on-line lessons are a nice idea.