Opening for Great White. Anyone remember first time on stage?

hunter1801
hunter1801
06/23/2010 11:35 pm
Just had to come on here and brag a tiny bit. My band just got our first gig booked for August 12th down in Redondo Beach, CA and we are opening for Great White if anyone listens to them, or has in the past. Going to be my first time on "stage". I've played only once for my friends graduation and that was fun, but this is different.

For those that play live, do you remember looking back to when you started and what it was like back them? Would be interesting to hear people's stories.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/24/2010 12:32 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801My band just got our first gig booked for August 12th down in Redondo Beach, CA and we are opening for Great White if anyone listens to them, or has in the past.

Good for you! Congrats & have fun. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/24/2010 6:21 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Just had to come on here and brag a tiny bit. My band just got our first gig booked for August 12th down in Redondo Beach, CA and we are opening for Great White if anyone listens to them, or has in the past. Going to be my first time on "stage". I've played only once for my friends graduation and that was fun, but this is different.

For those that play live, do you remember looking back to when you started and what it was like back them? Would be interesting to hear people's stories.

That's very cool. the first 'real' gig. Kinda scary but it's also quick and not having to hold up a full night of playing. You can have a focused set of the best stuff and make it all count.

Remember, you're not there to impress Great White, you're there to impress the club owner. Nice if Great White likes you but the club owner is the one that would hire you back. Be professional (not that you wouldn't) and prompt. Whether you like it or not, you're there to sell drinks (assuming you're playing a club).

My first time playing in front of a paying crowd was a guitar player competition and the crowd was just under 800ish. That, my friends, is trial by fire. Me, a stage, guitar, amp and lots of folks looking at me waiting to be impressed. I was a woodshedder and never been in a band because I spent so much time learning how to really play. I got good enough to be selected for the competition.

Didn't win and the guy that did, he should have. Still, got the crowd to holler a bit for me while I was playing so that was a bit of a victory for me. It was a blur.

From that show I got in to a band and played 'regular' gigs after that
# 3
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/24/2010 4:13 pm
Hey that is AWESOME!!!

I love Great White. Awesome guitar tones and great music. Good luck, I'm sure you'd do fine. Post some pics and videos if you can.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.