which 12 string??

fenderwez
fenderwez
02/05/2002 3:06 pm
i want to buy a 12-string but i dont know anything about them. any suggestions? ;)
STRATMAN-WEZ
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/05/2002 3:17 pm
I'm assuming you mean an acoustic.

NEVER tunen it higher than D (two semi-tones down). Use a capo on the second fret to bring it back up to normal pitch. If you tune an acoustic to normal pitch, the bridge will eventually lift, possibly tearing away from the guitar body. Even if it doesn't actually break, the 'belly' of the guitar will bulge out, raising the acton, and shifting the intonation.

About choosing a guitar; think of it as a six-string that has unusually wide strings. The neck will be a bit wider than a six, but the action should be about the same. There should be no string buzz anywhere, and it should be properly intonated right up to at least the 12th fret.

Tuning isn't really any more difficult than with a six string; there's just more tuners to adjust. The octave strings should be just a little bit off from the main strings. This will give it a lovely slow tremolo effect to fill out the lush sound.

Brands don't matter. If you find a guitar you like, for a price you're willing to pay, buy it.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.