Guitar solos making a comeback??

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
03/05/2002 1:42 pm
oh god... sorry, but to me the 80's were guitar solos for egos... I mean there was alot of great music form the 80s poeple like Talking Heads, Blondie, and some of the orchestral experimental stuff, and some truely great bands like The Stone roses, ... but Guns and Roses, very cringe worthy stuff... that's just my oppinion...
I mean there is no point in having a guitar solo if it's predictable, not very unique... and the Key changes /structure is very obvious... I mean i love hendrix's stuff, but his solos aren't undermining the rest of his song, and they're not blatant... What I'm saying is that alot of the 80s guitar was too much... it was very coarse.. (if anyone's to blame for making tapping embrassing it's those guys) I mean there are great solos now, you just have to pay attention... Daft Punk do some cool stuff, it's not massively complicated or whatever, but it works... Ask Lalimacefollie, he knows about poeple like Ron Thal, Dream Theater etc etc...
To be honest for the last decade or more, decent music for poeple who know about music isn't in the mainstream... Sure there was great stuff back in the 60s, but that simply because there weren't so many fakes trying to make a quick buck...
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/05/2002 3:06 pm
Originally posted by educatedfilm
Daft Punk do some cool stuff, it's not massively complicated or whatever, but it works... Ask Lalimacefollie, he knows about poeple like Ron Thal, Dream Theater etc etc...

If you want to really hear some awesome stuff, check out Ron Thal!! I'm like his biggest fan! He's such an awesome player, and you can't be crazier than he is... He's the closest to a genius that I know. I've found a file that shows his great songwriting chops, awesome playing, sense of humor (I can't play the bluuuuues)...
http://www2.opendoor.com/shrapnel/ram/NI-3001.RAM

He has brought to the world of electric guitar new techniques, (check this one out: http://www.guitartricks.com/2000/trick.php?trick_id=3659) like BB king, Van Halen, and Jimi Hendrix before him. I know we all tell that about our favorite guitar player, but this guy is really a genius...
# 2
fuhrysteve
fuhrysteve
03/05/2002 4:23 pm
oh god... sorry, but to me the 80's were guitar solos for egos...
...Sure there was great stuff back in the 60s, but that simply because there weren't so many fakes trying to make a quick buck...

hmm, well, when/where do you think the best guitar solos came/come out of? any particular era? or do you think it just seem to come out of random times, just whatever artist has got the best ear for melodies... or what?
Way Cool Christian Guitarist
# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/05/2002 4:37 pm
when you can see people singing the solos of songs, you know that's a great solo. First name that comes to my mind is Mark KNOPFLER. Awesome melodies, killer technique, gorgeous tone, Damn, is he good...
# 4
fuhrysteve
fuhrysteve
03/05/2002 10:27 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
First name that comes to my mind is Mark KNOPFLER. Awesome melodies, killer technique, gorgeous tone, Damn, is he good...

any particularly good songs by him i could download? a few'd be nice...
thanks
Way Cool Christian Guitarist
# 5
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/05/2002 11:14 pm
... but Guns and Roses, very cringe worthy stuff... that's just my oppinion...

I know you don't mean that so I'll let it slide.

The stuff you said about the Stone Roses, Talking Heads etc. was spot on though.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/05/2002 11:22 pm
Originally posted by fuhrysteve
thanks

sultans of swing
Romeo and Juliet
private investigations (the outro in this tune is so powerful!!)
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/06/2002 12:33 am
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
Originally posted by fuhrysteve
thanks

sultans of swing
Romeo and Juliet
private investigations (the outro in this tune is so powerful!!)

Everything I've heard off of the live Dire Straights disk is awesome.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/06/2002 12:38 am
"Dire Straits on the night" is the best sounding CD I own
"Alchemy live" rocks too...
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/06/2002 12:52 am
You'll have to get this disk to hear "Private Investigations" anyway, so you're going to find out about a little ditty caled "Telegraph Road". And "Romeo and Juliet" (on the "Making Movies" disk) leads into another one of my favourites, "Skateaway".
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.