Slightly handicaped

Strataron
Strataron
05/29/2010 1:46 pm
I'm new to this site, and want to start by asking for a little feedback. I am a beginner (two months) and I find myself frustrated because I'm missing my first digit to but not including my first joint on my left ring finger. I have difficulty being able to hold down just one string. it sort of touches another string (finger to fat)? I have a prostetic on the way friday of next week. Maybe im just looking for a little encouragement. I hope I can still learn to play. To much invested already. All comments are greatly welcome.
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/29/2010 2:38 pm
Originally Posted by: StrataronI'm new to this site, and want to start by asking for a little feedback. I am a beginner (two months) and I find myself frustrated because I'm missing my first digit to but not including my first joint on my left ring finger. I have difficulty being able to hold down just one string. it sort of touches another string (finger to fat)? I have a prostetic on the way friday of next week. Maybe im just looking for a little encouragement. I hope I can still learn to play. To much invested already. All comments are greatly welcome.

This may help:
http://www.redhotjazz.com/django.html

...and for your viewing pleasure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iJ7bs4mTUY

Django overcame quite a lot and became a legend. I mean, you know, we won't all be legends but I think it's it's encouraging for all players when you see someone become so great despite having an obstacle.

Good luck and I have no doubt that if you love to play and enjoy learning, you will find ways to make it work.
# 2
Strataron
Strataron
05/30/2010 1:39 pm
Thanks. I needed a little encouagement.
# 3
kuykjp
kuykjp
05/30/2010 7:07 pm
I'm sure alot of us are inspired by you. I know I am. Another example of what music gives us. I was trying to put myself in your place and was thinking maybe trying open tunings, or incorporating a slide? That would lend itself to folk, country, or blues mainly, and that may not be what you're into.
Django is the man. His music also inspired Tony Iommi not to quit after he got the tips of his fingers cut off.
# 4
Carvin Boy
Carvin Boy
06/01/2010 12:36 pm
There's many ways to play the guitar so don't give up.
# 5
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/14/2010 2:02 am
Don't let anything hold you back. In the beginning, playing guitar is a bit of a handicapped for everyone honestly. It is a struggle and I have seen people with extremely different hand sizes and at many different ages play both great and no so much. However you look at it, playing the guitar well is a bit of an unnatural phenomenon honestly. You are holding this weirdly shaped thing in your hands, holding it unlike anything else before it in your life. Than you have to make all these weird shapes and faces and so forth. It is as much of an obstacle for someone with 75 fingers as it is for someone with 2. Don't let anything or anyone hold you back. You will make it work with what you have. Best of luck. :cool:
Douglas Showalter
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.