Hello everyone

themr_man
themr_man
02/05/2002 1:00 am
Hello there, I really like this site it's nice. I was wondering, how do you get that tone? the guitar tone that bands such as limp biskit and slipNOT use? I have a Marshall tsl 2000 amp, les paul, sg, Hendrix signature strat and a boss vf-1 procesor. I try to get that sound but it allways turns out to blusey. Iv'e tried all combinations of settings on the amp but to no avail! I am a VERY keen Hendrix fan and play a passable Purple haze, I love Hendrix's rhythem style and am maybe stuck in my ways, I don't know, some advise please.

thanx
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/05/2002 1:17 am
1). EMG pickups
2). "Scooped" mids: turn the bass and treble up, mids down.
3). Detune.
4). Use your bridge pickup.

And welcome to the site. We're here to help ('n stuff).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
themr_man
themr_man
02/11/2002 12:17 am
Hey thanks a lot for the tips, I tuned down to Eb is this far enough? It souds great in Eb though. Anyway thanks again!

Bye!
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/11/2002 1:37 am
Well, Slipknot and Limp Bizkuit tune down to around A, but they also use seven strings so they're really only tuning down a full step.

Along the detuning line, I suggest you check out Scissorfight. I'm not the least bit a fan of L.B. or Slipknot but this band here rules, and what's more is the guitarist uses a normal six string tuned something like A-E-B-G-B-E (though I'm not entirely sure how he tunes). To get his sound you only need an old Marshall, a Les Paul, and some really ballsy strings. They've got three songs up on their site for people to download though if you've got some kind of downloading program, I suggest you try and find "The Gibbetted Captain Kidd," "The Most Dangerous Animal is Me," and "Helicopter Killing Cotton Mouth."

One word of warning: Guitar amps aren't exactly designed to handle pitches that low, so be careful because speakers can get expensive. Also, you may want to think about keeping one guitar detuned (and have it set up for that), and leave the others in standard tuning (or a half step down like you have it now).
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.