learning to play with others

TylerW1
TylerW1
05/23/2010 4:26 am
Hello i have been playing guitar for about 4 years now and iv taken lessons ive tried to self teach and nothing seems to work or atleast not fast enough. i wanna get back to the basics but im a fast learner because i never learned them :) .... so after i would learn the basics i wanted to know if anyone knows if there are any lessons on this site that teaches you how to play along with other players and band mates?
# 1
kuykjp
kuykjp
05/30/2010 6:50 pm
Hi Tyler, when I was learning, I used to try to play along with records. It's actually much easier now with ipods you can fast forward or reverse etc. Is this what you're talking about? Is it just a "keeping in time" issue you want to work on? The core learning area seems pretty good for the basics.
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/30/2010 9:57 pm
The only way you are going to get better at playing with other people is to actually play with other people
# 3
Jarsew
Jarsew
06/02/2010 6:36 pm
Knowing theory would probably be the ultimate and obvious answer; since its essentially the language of music, so if you know how to speak it the better you will do with others.

Yet that is the problem, no matter how much you may know theory, if the people your playing with dont know theory than it probably wont help ya much in terms of communicating.

So which comes to this point: Everyones skill level/music knowledge is going to be different, sometimes vastly different. Same with their music influences. You pretty much have to just jam with as many people/bands as possible until you find the certain somebody or the certain group of people that you "click" with the best, wherever there is that chemistry.

A good example actually is concerning one of my favorite bands. The band consist of 4 members. The singer/guitarist literally writes all the music. Recently the band lost their drummer and the second guitarist. Oddly enough their sound is now quite different; even though its still the same single guy writing all the music. I think that is good example of what a different chemistry/vibe can do.
# 4
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/03/2010 7:38 am
I just added a new tutorial - the first of its kind yesturday

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=981

This shows all you need to know to play a jazzblues with 2 guitars. I thought I would do a whole series with different types of styles, originals or exercices to get you into playing with 2 guitars. I personally think that this is a lot of fun playing with 2 guitars and to improve playing.

Cheers

HP
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.