Major scale

gmixstudios
gmixstudios
05/19/2010 7:58 pm
Hi there, how is learning the C maj scale going to help me with song writing and chord progressions? how is it relevant to learning basic chords? thanks

Sarah
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/19/2010 9:10 pm
All major scales are the same. The C major scale specifically however is relevant in music theory because it is the most "basic". On a piano, the scale is simply all of the white keys played in order from C. None of the black keys are used as there are no sharps or flats in that scale.

A Major scale is made by following the pattern: w-w-h-w-w-w-h
(w=whole step, h=half step).

It gives you an easy view and understanding on how major scales are made. They are all made with this pattern, but all the others have sharps since jumping a whole or half step may put you on one of those notes.
# 2
gmixstudios
gmixstudios
05/19/2010 9:32 pm
Thanks, my big brother said it would help me understand chords, and said something about knowing the notes in the scale would help me know what chords I could use in a progression but what about just playing chords and if it sounds good then use it?

Just not sure how its going to help me as Im quite basic and just figuring out C G and Am chords as we speak

Sarah
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/19/2010 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudios...but what about just playing chords and if it sounds good then use it?

Nothing wrong with that, I did it for years! :) However, since learning with GT, I begin to understand why those chords sound good together.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/20/2010 2:14 am
Originally Posted by: gmixstudiosThanks, my big brother said it would help me understand chords, and said something about knowing the notes in the scale would help me know what chords I could use in a progression but what about just playing chords and if it sounds good then use it?

Just not sure how its going to help me as Im quite basic and just figuring out C G and Am chords as we speak

Sarah

Every scale has "degrees". The major scale has 7 (8 including the last note which is an octave of the first). Chords are formed using the degrees/tones of a scale. If you wanted to play a C chord, you would play the 1st 3rd and 5th degrees of the scale. Going back to the whole/half step pattern:

root-w-w-h-w-w-w-h
c-d-e-f-g-a-b-c
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8

So a C chord would be 1,3,5 which are notes c,e,g. You are probable familiar with the C chord shape that includes the last note, c/8. The reason you can play that is because it is an octave of the first note (aka, its the same exact note, so you won't have contradicting sounds).

It is easiest to show that using the C scale since it has no sharps or flats like I mentioned. The other scales are exactly the same thing though.

As far as playing. If you are playing a chord progression, (lets say, C to G to Am) you can essentially play any note in the C scale while on the C portion, any note of the G scale while playing that part, and the same with Am.

Edit: Jarsew just posted something in this thread that is related and expands on what I just said here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31830
# 5
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
hpcrazy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2010 7:13 am
Actually to each not of the major scale there is a chord dedicated. In the case of C major scale you get :

C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

or with 4th chords :

Cmaj7 Dm7 Em7 Fmaj7 G7 Am7 Bm7b5

also view http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=551

These are called diatonic chord progressions. Now you can start to make songs out of these chords and most songs in a major key work only with these chords. The most popular chord progression is I IV V - C F G in any variations. Other examples are :

I VI II V
I II V
I II III IV V

or you can find you ways of making combinations from those diatonic chord progressions. :)

Greetings

HP
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2010 12:30 pm
Originally Posted by: gmixstudiosHi there, how is learning the C maj scale going to help me with song writing and chord progressions?

Because chords are built from scales.

In general, anything you learn about the nature of music can assist you in understanding, playing & writing music.

There is a difference between focusing on learning the basic mechanical, physical motions required to play those basic chords you are working on, and then learning scales or how scales and chords are related.

If you work your way through Guitar Fundamentals 1, you will see we give you chords & melodies to play. At this stage you are simply focusing on the basic mechanics. In effect, we are saying, "Just play this stuff! Figure out how to make your hands do this with a guitar!" If you don't learn to manipulate that machine, what good is any future knowledge, right? :)

http://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=1

But then, after you've got a bit of skill built up, in Guitar Fundamentals 2 we teach you about scales & how they are related to chords. So you can understand how and why all those physical motions create music. In fact, if you keep going, you will find a whole tutorial aimed at showing you how to use the C major scale with chords & why it's good to know this stuff.

http://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=2

Build some skill (practice), understand what you are doing (theory), repeat!

Make sense? Hope this helps, have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2010 1:06 pm
You may want to check this out as well:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11389
Doug
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.