Quick Question...

Geeetar4Life
Geeetar4Life
05/12/2010 3:12 am
Can anyone give me a precise answer to why the early 17th century Dutch colonies were formed? It's for school.

I mean, I have an idea, but I'm more of a nineteenth century history guy, and everywhere I search for the answer, I can't find a straight up answer. All the web talks about is the stone houses and **** that the Dutch settlers built...I mean, I guess I could look a little harder, but I figured one of you guys would have the intelligence to answer the question to the best of my understanding...
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal." - Incubus

Band Myspace
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/12/2010 3:39 am
Originally Posted by: Geeetar4LifeCan anyone give me a precise answer to why the early 17th century Dutch colonies were formed? It's for school.

I mean, I have an idea, but I'm more of a nineteenth century history guy, and everywhere I search for the answer, I can't find a straight up answer. All the web talks about is the stone houses and **** that the Dutch settlers built...I mean, I guess I could look a little harder, but I figured one of you guys would have the intelligence to answer the question to the best of my understanding...

I think it was over trade. I think the Dutch were rather dominating in international trade (ie the Dutch East India Trading company) as well as ship building/mapping etc.

Can't say I know more than that but with the DETC forming early on, a likely contributor...Wish I had more...I'd actually have to use the intarweb then....hehe
# 2
robb2511
robb2511
05/14/2010 9:07 am
Money and religion. World was divided between the Catholic countries (who had most of it) and the Protestants (who didn't.)
Really good (although violent) read or mini series is James Clavell's "Shogun" which is set in Japan and deals in part with the confrontation between the two powers vying for control in Japan.
Hope this helps,

RobP
# 3
Geeetar4Life
Geeetar4Life
05/16/2010 9:40 pm
I appreciate it guys. Quick and easy.
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal." - Incubus

Band Myspace
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.