Nos

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/06/2010 7:43 pm
What does NOS mean with regard to tube amps?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2010 8:47 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboWhat does NOS mean with regard to tube amps?

Acronym for New Old Stock.

http://www.audiotubes.com/nos.htm

http://www.davestechshop.com/pages/faq.htm#q3

I've heard this is supposed to apply to only old tubes that were manufactured years ago (pre 1970s), are currently out of production, but are "new" because they were never actually used. But I've heard engineers complaining about some shysters claiming they have NOS tubes, when in fact it is newly manufactured stuff made to look like actual NOS.

I am not sure how much difference it would make if you could actually make something brand new that mimiced precisely what an old tube did. But obviously I wouldn't trust someone that was not honest about their product anyway.

In my experience, guys that work with this stuff frequently use an old tube model or stock as a standard (6L6, 12AX7, etc.) to measure a new tube by, but aren't above or against using a newly manufactured tube.

However, the NOS issue can be the cause of much debate & discussion!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=713301
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/06/2010 10:20 pm
Wow, thanks for those links. Very interesting reading. Lots of debate if there is actually a benefit, and then, even if you think so, are you even getting the real thing??

I've seen an amp advertised in a NOS and non-NOS version for [Edit: $70] more for the NOS version. Not sure I'd bother spending the extra cash for it.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/07/2010 6:26 am
Nice.....Outstanding.....Sound, duh!
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/07/2010 1:34 pm
Welcome. It is interesting geek stuff. :)
Originally Posted by: RazboLots of debate if there is actually a benefit, and then, even if you think so, are you even getting the real thing??[/quote]
And even when you get the real thing (authentic NOS tubes) there is no standard of quality from tube to tube depending upon how it was stored, if the corrosion on the pins significantly affects tone, etc.
[QUOTE=Razbo]
I've seen an amp advertised in a NOS and non-NOS version for [Edit: $70] more for the NOS version. Not sure I'd bother spending the extra cash for it.

I've been told by an engineer with experience to back it up they can & do work better & last longer. But the caveat is that the design of the amp you put one in is crucial. You can't just put an NOS into any given amp & expect it to sound better than the tubes it originally came with. This is because the best amp designs are made with the values of all the components & tubes in mind & viewed as an integrated whole.

I've played Marshalls with 6550s & EL34s; Fenders with 6L6s, 6V6s & EL34s. I've never heard one combination that was consistently better than another. Way too many other factors in the equation.

More geekery to ponder. :)
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
Carvin Boy
Carvin Boy
05/10/2010 12:04 am
The new production tubes like Tung-Sol and Mullards (my experiences) are really good buys. Even Sovteks are.

I'm pretty leery of this NOS stuff but I got one RCA 5751 tube that was pretty solid. I think it was used when I bought it.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.