Becoming A Solo Artist

Snake_Eater
Snake_Eater
04/16/2010 3:16 pm
Im a guitarist for my band....and I write riffs for our songs all the time. I hear everything in my head, the drums, bass and the vocals, but i cant tell them to do something on their intrument for they all want to contribute on their own, which aint bad. But I have all theese ideas in my head that are pretty soft and soulfull, but our band is a metal one and they one to stick to metal material which i like too. But I want to be like Buckethead. I just want to Know the road of becoming a solo-artist. is it tougher?longer?is it worth leaving my band to become one? Is anyone here a solo-artist? please i want to hear some feedback.
# 1
RockHudson
RockHudson
04/19/2010 8:53 pm
Why don't you try and influence your current band members . . . And (gently) push them in the direction you want to go?

One of the best ways of doing this is to invest in some home-recording equipment and take demos of your ideas to rehearsals . . . You'll find that the musicians will use your ideas as their starting point and will probably be able to improve on them!
All the best
Simon Harris
www.advancedguitarplayer.com
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/19/2010 11:48 pm
Changing a bands type of music is a huge deal. If these guys are into being a metal band and you aren't, then you should consider leaving, not changing them. If they are up for it sure, but most likely they wont be. Being a solo artist is definitely hard. You almost need to be a virtuoso to make it now since the bar is so high. How good are you really?
# 3
Snake_Eater
Snake_Eater
04/20/2010 3:13 pm
Well I write stuff all the time but I dont share them with my band members for I cant use them in the songs we write together, for its too soft for their taste.I have a huge stack of unwanted songs and riffs and I dont know what to do with them. I love my band, but They wont change their genre or even put some of my riffs within our songs. Hell, I like metal... but i have this other side of me that can do much more...And i always wanted to become a solo-artist but I think the road to being one is too hard for me.....
# 4
Jays.traas
Jays.traas
04/21/2010 6:49 am
I would suggest you try and find some like-minded musicians rather than going solo. Many already famous artists try and fail at going solo... This isn't to discourage you, it isn't impossible and if you want it bad enough you'll do whatever it takes to reach your goals.

However I'm sure there are other musicians in your area that enjoy the same softer styles that you do and you could try and find out if anyone else is interested in forming a new band with you.
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/21/2010 6:26 pm
Ya that would be a better road. Even if you go solo, you'll need to record all the instruments that are in a "band" anyways. Why not just be the leader of a new band that does the music you want. That way you get credit for your work, get to play what you like, and don't have all the pressure on you.
# 6
Deuce2010
Deuce2010
04/24/2010 7:49 am
It's not unheard of for a musician to be a part of two bands. Tool and A Perfect Circle are a great example of different music styles with band members playing a role in both bands. And both bands are a huge success!
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.