View post (How Often do you practice?)

View thread

Jarsew
Jarsew
04/14/2010 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerSome of my best riffs have come to me after I've not picked up my guitar for over a week or two.

Im with you on that man.

My playing is a roller coaster ride, and frankly it sucks. I wont lie, Ive gone 5 months not even looking at the guitar before. Then Ill get a random surge and Im back on it 4-5 hours a day for a few months. Pretty strange, and obnoxious.

Any of you guys read "this is your brain on music"? Pretty interesting. One of the key points he makes is they (scientist and their studies I guess) have concluded that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to supposedly become a virtuoso; or even more broad, to become an expert in whatever profession. Of course its very subjective and depends solely on what is practiced (thats a whole'nother thread if you ask me...), but interesting none the less. I think he said thats 3 hours a day for 10 years; or 8 hours a day for 3 1/2 years.

Supposedly that magical 10,000 number has popped up several, several times in studies concerning chess players, athletes, musicians, writers; pretty much "everything" to be considered a master, so they say.