Timing

caponi14
caponi14
03/25/2010 11:56 pm
Hello fellow guitarist.

I feel bad asking so many things all the time, it's not that im totally non-talented. Not at all, because im pretty good if i should say myself. (confidence lol)

but my question is about timing in a solo. I have some difficulties with my timing in some songs that i jam to, when i want to do a solo. for example the song in the link down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJzs8AnnN14

My timing gets off when i try out stuff like he plays, and my improvisation gets fairly repeatative, when i rip up the blues scale like he does there.... It's just so hard :(

It's that kind of playing im aiming for. That kind of soloing that Slash does. That all i want.

Sorry for the many posts of me. It's just very special for me, and i want to improove myself as much as possible.
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/26/2010 7:38 pm
Question. How much funk and R&B music do you listen too and actually enjoy? Second, can you dance while you play? :D
Douglas Showalter
# 2
caponi14
caponi14
03/26/2010 8:09 pm
It's only the solo in that track that i enjoy so much. I don't listen to that type of music normally lol
# 3
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/26/2010 9:40 pm
and you only like it cause you seem to be a major slash fanboy. in my opinion that solo was totaly out of place in that song, its like making a chocolate cake with gravey frosting, both things may be good, but dont mean they work well together.

it also seems that a lot of your posts are "i want to play this like slash but i cant quiet do it" and the answer is always the same, just keep doing it and practic practice
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/27/2010 1:18 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14It's that kind of playing im aiming for. That kind of soloing that Slash does. That all i want.

Oh that's all? :rolleyes: It's already been said, but...practice is really the only thing that can be said. For timing, play with a metronome and take things slow. Faster as you progress.

Oh and who doesn't like chocolate cake with gravy frosting?!?! That's my breakfast every day.
# 5
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/27/2010 2:15 pm
caponi...I think Doug might be getting at something...not that I would speak on his behalf. I mean, I wouldn't want to try to play over a song unless I could get in to the swing of it. For me, I love Le Freak (points to anyone who can tell me how the song came in to being ;) ). I love the groove and the swing. If your not diggin' on the groove of the song, playing the solo over it will never come naturally.

I think others said it here and I said it in the past, it's obvious your playing is very much centered around Slash. It's the only artist you've ever asked about. I will mention again, if you want to play like Slash, learn his influences and not just him. Your not going to understand why he can rip over a funky chord comp unless you can get why he likes it and thus why he can do it. He grew up playing Rory Gallagher, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Queen, Aerosmith, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck etc.

I should also mention this, you may want to try to sound as close to Slash as you can but you won't. Not that you won't be a skilled guitar player, it's because you're not Slash. Slash made his unique and rightfully respected voice as a guitar player because he listening to a spectrum of music. His sense of phrasing and timing is from that spectrum. You are trying replicate him without understanding the path that he took to get there.
# 6
caponi14
caponi14
03/28/2010 9:54 am
Yeah, i know what you mean... I just..... Whatever. Ill work at it!

I will stop the ''Slash asking thing'' I feel so stupid now..

But thanks
# 7
electric circus
electric circus
03/28/2010 3:14 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Yeah, i know what you mean... I just..... Whatever. Ill work at it!

I will stop the ''Slash asking thing'' I feel so stupid now..

But thanks

stop that.

if slash is your hero then ask about him. its ok. advice was given above about following the patch that slash took to get where he has.
thats the best advice ive seen on this post.
jeff was right, you will never play like slash because your not slash.
what you can do is use slash as one of your influences, along with several others, and be your own guitarist. listen you the ones that slash says influenced him. take what you can from them and move on.
slash is pretty good i have to say. hes made a good name for himself as well.
take what you can, riffs, licks, and tricks from these players and put bits and pieces of them in your own playing and pretty soon you'll have your own path that you are blazing, and folks will one day ask you who it was that influenced you to play the way you do. then you can tell them SLASH.
dont worry about sounding stupid asking about slash stuff.
its perfectly natural. hell, i bet slash asked tons about who influenced him
when he was trying to create his own style.
again, its all about learning your influences so ask away.
another 80s metal fan.
# 8
caponi14
caponi14
03/28/2010 9:37 pm
Thanks man

I quess im the kind of person who needs encouragement pretty often to function properly.

I don't know why im so obsessed with the whole Slash thing, he just have the exact style and phrasing im looking for. Fast or slow, happy or sad. It's all just my thing.
It's not that i don't admire other players, alot of they're playing styles are just not what im looking for.
And Slash have what im looking for... Quess it's gonna take years and years of practice to get what i want. But hey.... It's all worth in the end right?

Thank you people
# 9
electric circus
electric circus
03/29/2010 12:57 am
dude, back in the 80's, what slash is to you, eddie was to thousands.
keep pluckin bro.
another 80s metal fan.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.