View post (putting it together)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/24/2010 2:43 am
Originally Posted by: mrshakes69hey im struggling on writting my own songs , i can come up with a few decent riffs ( well i call em decent ) but i cant seem to link it all together to make a song , are there any videos or suggestions to help me with this?

Songwriting is such an elusive animal. This site has some good songwriters on staff. I read somewhere that reading about how to song write is like reading about how to be in love...

I'm still learning what my weaknesses are in songwriting but I noticed that the biggest growth in 'not hating' what I've written is when I stopped trying to make a great song. Great songs happen, you can't make them. I also noticed that if I stopped trying so hard to make things amazing, I liked what I did better.

I guess I'm finding that if I stop working on individual riffs but on sections of a song, I like what I hear.

I don't know...Just a thought. I'm a mere novice so I don't know that I have much to give other than what I've noticed that I like recently.