View post (Boston)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2010 7:53 pm
I honestly feel Boston's first album is one of the greatest rock albums in history. I feel this for many reasons. First thing, the songs are amazing! The playing is great, the lyrics are well said, and the engineering is fantastic. Where as their albums after that are great, their first album set the bar. If you love that, everything after that is similar and their sound is very well in tact. An interesting point is that the first album along with those guitar tones were engineered and done by Tom Schultz (guitarist, songwriter) himself. He was an engineer for Polaroid back in the day and saved up money to buy the gear to record his own records. This was quite a feat in the 70's, and his ability to get great tones at that stage ON HIS OWN is nothing short of amazing. He is a true guitar and engineering genius and that first record and those thereafter are a true testament to that. He is also a remarkable human being, being an active animal rights activist and running his own charitable organizations.

Thought I would chime in on that. Cheers!
Douglas Showalter