Nut on classical guitar supposed to be out?

hunter1801
hunter1801
03/15/2010 11:28 pm
I'm changing the strings for the first time on my classical guitar and when I took them all off, the nut just slipped out. It wasn't glued or secured in any way. Is it supposed to be like this? If not, what do I do about it now :confused:
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/15/2010 11:49 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801I'm changing the strings for the first time on my classical guitar and when I took them all off, the nut just slipped out. It wasn't glued or secured in any way.

The nut should absolutely be glued on securely. I recommend a bottle of hide glue. Consult a pro if not confident in your ability to fix.

FWIW, the bridge saddle (bar) on many classical guitars is not glued, attached or secured. And, of course, it will fall right out of the bridge when the strings are removed.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/15/2010 11:54 pm
Well the saddle actually stayed in. I pulled it out when I saw your response, so it wasn't glued. Shouldn't be too hard to put the nut in though right? Just apply some of the glue and slip it in?
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2010 1:36 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Shouldn't be too hard to put the nut in though right? Just apply some of the glue and slip it in?

First, make sure the surface of the nut & the neck is clean & flush. You might have to knock, cut, scrape, file old glue, wood, etc. off of the surfaces.

Next, apply just a bit of glue to neck surfaces. There is a 90 degree angle in between the flat area of the neck under the nut & the top edge of the fretboard. You want a bit of glue on both surfaces, so run a bead along that inner corner where the 90 degree surfaces meet.

Gently, but firmly, place the nut in place on the glue. Make sure it is a flush fit. Wipe off excess glue. Let dry over night. Check for fit, then restring if all went well.

Best of success!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/19/2010 4:09 am
I agree with all of the above, except the choice of glues.

If you ever take your guitar in to a luthier to have the nut replaced, they will not be expecting to deal with hide glue. The usual nut removal technique is to apply a gentle tap to one end of the nut to break the glue bond. This is based on the almost-universal choice of either PVA or cyanoacrylate glue to reatain the nut.

A [u]small[/u] drop of either Super Glue (cyanoacrilate) or white wood glue (PVA) will serve to hold the nut in place.

As you have already seen, the strings will hold the nut in place very securely without any additional glue. The glues I have listed will keep the nut in place even when all of the strings are removed, without making trouble for someone who wants to replace the nut.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.