Missing digit

Lilbiker
Strung Out
Lilbiker
Strung Out
03/14/2010 3:28 pm
Just wondering if anyone here plays with any missing fingers. I took lessons very briefly when I was 16, but grew impatient. Wanted to know how to play, but didn't want to learn. I gave it up and over the years half heartedly practiced but again my impatience got the better of me, but I kept the guitar hanging around. I lost my left thumb about 15 years ago and now at 46 have the patience to learn.

I figure I will never be in a garage band and just want to play for the joy of it. I have the rest of my life to learn and I am truly enjoying just picking it up and practicing scales and chords.
I was just wondering if anyone else plays with missing digits, I mean I know it can be done, I saw a guy play with his feet cause he had no arms. Hey if he can do it I can play with one missing thumb right?

Looking for any advise on Barre chords, which are hard to begin with but harder when I don't have a left thumb and small hands. I purchased a smaller acoustic and electric guitars to compensate and they are both beginner guitars with smaller necks and probably all I will ever need.

I know that I won't give up, but any pointers would be great.

Thanks and you all here at GT rock.

Jaime
# 1
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/14/2010 4:06 pm
hmmm bummer bout your thumb, it seems that the thumb is mostly used to brace on the back of the neck so it seems you could learn to adapt to playing without youtube shows plenty of disabled guitarists, even one handed ones.

perhaps you can use think strings and tune down to make it easier to fret without the brace, or even play with the guitar down in your lap face up like Jeff healy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikHI7_PMFNc

that would allow you more pressure

you can definitely do it if you want it enough
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.