03/13/2010 4:30 pm
please i need help
# 1
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
03/13/2010 4:35 pm
Dip your toe in a few times and when you're ready dive right in!

Make sure you stick to a course if you're a beginner and enjoy the ride :D
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 2
norsh3
norsh3
03/13/2010 6:20 pm
thats great advice that ll remember
# 3
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/13/2010 8:52 pm
If you are brand new to the guitar start here with Fundamentals 1: http://guitartricks.com/course.php?input=1

If you have been playing a bit, you should still skim Fundamentals 1 but then move in to Fundamentals 2 found here: http://guitartricks.com/course.php?input=2

After that use the search box in the top right to find what you want to work on, here are also Rock, Blues and Country lessons specifically designed to pick right up where Fundamentals 2 leaves off!

Lastly have fun, all work and no play makes El Mariachi a dull boy! Go look up some guitar tabs and mess around with some songs, after all why do we play an instrument? to play songs!
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 4
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/14/2010 6:10 pm
I am also brand new to the guitar and have been doing the fundamental courses. One thing I have found that helps me is to utilize the A-B function of the video course. It just keeps repeating until you are ready to move on. It has been an invaluable asset to me. I also have a hard time playing because I have big hands (size 14) ring finger, and the instructors in here sometimes show you different ways to finger the notes. Also if you have a question, don't be afraid to post on the forum, quite a few of the instructors follow the board and are a great resource. Good luck and happy playing.
# 5
Carmine M
Carmine M
03/14/2010 6:57 pm
Try also to download the video and play with the free player named VLC, you cn reduce the speed on that as well as looping a section.

Carmine

PS welcome here

Regards,

cm

# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/14/2010 7:21 pm
Never feed a bear cotton candy......he'll be up all night
# 7
Edwardsweb
Edwardsweb
03/15/2010 7:33 pm
The most usefull knowlegde I have given and was given long ago is as follows.

WASH HANDS BEFORE EVERY PRACTICE.

1. Go as slowly (and deliberately) as you can at first to get the chords/fingerings in your brain.

2. On "the NEXT time you go to practice", start with a metronome setting that you first feel is rediculessly slow and practice your piece 17 times WITHOUT any mistakes. (If you make a mistake, stop - drop your hands and let the blood flow, re-focus, then continue. Remember - 17 x's !)

3. After #2 above, put down instrument for at least one hour ( or the next day) then when you return, increase metronome speed in small increments - each time, practicing at that speed for 17 times with NO MISTAKES.

4. Do the above until you can pick up your guitar and do that piece in the time you want until you feel it is "part of your Natural abilities ( like walking).

By doing this, I have proven to three instructors that my students/friends can master a piece/practice/lick in 2/3rds the time it takes most others. After 5 months of this, They have a faster ability to retain and repeat ANYTHING they come across.

One side effect though is that after a year or two, they start branching out into other styles and genre's because they feel they are unlimited.

DO not under-estimate the hidden benefits of a metronome.
All these great instructors mention the use of a metronome on nearly ALL lessons. Not using a metronome is Tthe ONLY MISTAKE you could make toward being a true musician.

IF YOU WANT SPEED AND NATURAL SOUNDING ABILITY, DO IT THE FASTER AND POSITIVE WAY. - GO EAST BY HEADING WEST !

I'll see you at Carnegie !
# 8
JerryGarcia1981
JerryGarcia1981
03/15/2010 8:32 pm
I just joined aswell and I am very confused.

I was under the impression that someone on this site would make a video showing how to play the song that I wanted. Because I was on a tab website and on the bottom it said "learn how to play Althea with guitar tutorial" Althea was the name of the song, so I signed up thinking someone would help me learn how to play it.

I want to learn the lead of the song, not the boring old chords. Im a begginer guitar player. Im 29 years old and have had a guitar on and off for almost 15 years, but maybe I am at a point of two years if I took real lessons and worked hard. I just lik eplaying for fun, no pressure. But I want to learn lead pretty badly.

So whats up with this site?
# 9
JStewart
I Walk the Line
JStewart
I Walk the Line
03/16/2010 3:33 pm
Hey Jerry, I saw a similar ad on a tab website I visit. The only songs GT has tutorials for are the ones they hold a license for. There is absolutely zero pirating or illegal usage of material on this site. That being said, your subscription gives you access to the best lineup of instructors this internet has to offer. While there may not be a step by step instructional video of how to play the exact song you want, there are many video's to teach you the skills you need to play that song from tab or sheet music on your own.

I hope you stick around and give it a go, you won't be disappointed.
God said to Abraham, “Kill me a son”
Abe says, “Man, you must be puttin’ me on”
God say, “No.” Abe say, “What?”
God say, “You can do what you want Abe, but
The next time you see me comin’ you better run”
Well Abe says, “Where do you want this killin’ done?”
God says, “Out on Highway 61”
# 10
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
03/16/2010 4:30 pm
Hey Jerry,
Jstewart is right, while we may not be able to show the song yet. You can learn lead playing techniques used to play it. The cool thing about this is they can be used in other songs too.

Whether you want to do it for fun, or as a career. You still want to learn to do it the right way. Take it from someone that once felt the same way you do. The chords, their positions, and chord structure are all staples to learning lead techniques.

Learning these will also enable you to play with others, whereas just sitting down and figuring out only the lead lets you play one part of the song. Knowing the chords will make it much easier to figure out the lead, and you'll also be able to play along with others.

When I was playing bluegrass professionally, I only figured out cool riffs to certain songs as you are talking about. I didn't know I would end up going back and learning the complete songs, when I started performing them with a band on stage. Looking back now I should have learned it all from the start, but I never figured I would be doing it seriously. Now I've been playing just over 33 years, and performing professionally for 26 of those. I can't help thinking I could have learned more in a shorter time, if I wouldn't have had to go back and learn what I should have already known.

Just some food for thought, and I hope you stick around.
# 11
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/16/2010 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: norsh3please i need help

You need help with what and what kind of advice are you seeking? Please be more specific so we can better help you. :D
Douglas Showalter
# 12
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/17/2010 4:14 am
[QUOTE=JerryGarcia1981]I just joined aswell and I am very confused.
I want to learn the lead of the song, not the boring old chords. Im a begginer guitar player.]

Jerry, One thing I have learned is that you will never be a good lead player if you don't have the fundamentals down. I came into this just wanting to shred some heavy metal riffs, but quickly learned that the guys who shred at light speed have an intimate knowledge of the fundamentals. You talk to the top guitar players in the world, some of which are right here teaching, and they will all say the same thing, they started from the same place we did. At the bottom. Good luck and enjoy each lesson, it really is fun.

Oh and I know I will be shredding at the speed of light someday, I'm just going to enjoy the trip there.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.