A true newbie

slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/08/2010 8:56 pm
Hi all,

My name is Jim and I am a new to guitar. I have a passion for metal music but feel that to be a good metal player, I should be able to play all sorts of styles. I realize to do this I have to have the fundamentals down. I am always open to suggestion and have had alot of fun doing the exorcises in the first few lessons today. Oh and my fingers don't feel good right now. lol
# 1
compart1
compart1
03/08/2010 9:53 pm
Hi Jim..
Welcome to GT
The fundamental are good to learn for sure.. You never know when your interest may change.. I feel like you do about learning all style.. At least a bit of them..
One thing about GT is you can get all sort of helpful info other then how to play..
Have you tried the Chord Finder.. I found it amazing. GT staffer are working on a Scale Finder also. That will be another great additon.
Good Luck and keep on PIckin'
Gordon
# 2
ljpotterm
ljpotterm
03/08/2010 10:05 pm
It takes a few weeks of steady practice to build up the callus in your finger tips. Just about the time you think your finger tips about to explode from the pain it goes away. Its worth it trust me.
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/09/2010 4:21 am
You are doing the right thing by starting with Guitar Fundamentals. Metal guitar is a bit like the olympics of guitar, so you have a long journey but don't get discouraged. You will get there.

Really take your time with Guitar Fundamentals 1 and 2. Those really teach you the basics. Once you "really" know those lessons, than move on to Rock Level 1. Rock Level 2 follows, all the while you are staying inspired, playing with others, and listening to good music. It's a long journey but it's all the more rewarding.

Best of luck and make good use of this forum. Many of the instructors are active on this forum and work to get you the information you need. Good luck! :D
Douglas Showalter
# 4
slimmetalpickin
slimmetalpickin
03/09/2010 5:59 pm
Just reading all of your post ensures me I made the right choice coming to Guitar Tricks. I am in this for the long haul and look forward to eventually getting to the olympics:). Thank you all for your support.
# 5
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/09/2010 7:37 pm
yeah when i started out i wanted to play metal then i realized while i like metal music i dont like playing it that much, i like punk a bit more it was a bit rougher and more lively and fun, then i started gettin a lil more country / surfy soundin as i got a bit better, now i'm learning some country styles and plan on workin out some country / punk stuff when i get it down a bit better,

i guess i'm trying to say, as you play you'll decide what you really like to play, and sometimes it may not be exactly what you think you like to listen to.

so be open try a lot.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.