View post (Can a professional recording be made on home equipment)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/18/2010 7:28 pm
That is true to some extent. However, with practice and time you can use your own stuff to make a great recording. We live in a modern age where home recording is easier and easier and you can really get a lot of mileage out of recording on your computer. It honestly takes practice, practice, practice; JUST LIKE THE GUITAR!

For me, I record as much myself as I can. I live in an apartment with 2 room mates; and my apartment is not a studio. When it comes to recording vocals, acoustic instruments, strings, etc; I do it myself if possible but due to room mates, noisy neighbors, I have a huge obstacle. If I can't do it myself; I will use a studio. If I am recording electric guitars, keys, bass, production stuff; I do it at home always. It just depends on your set up and how quiet your space is and so forth.

That being said, I don't consider myself an engineer and I always have someone else do the final mix and master for my recordings. Perhaps one day I can do this myself, but do as much as you can on your own; than turn it over to someone else to do the final mix and master. Make sure this is someone you trust and have a good relationship with and you have heard plenty of recordings they have done.

That is the end of my rant. Cheers! :eek:
Douglas Showalter