View post (Can a professional recording be made on home equipment)

View thread

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/10/2010 1:22 am
Originally Posted by: RNobodyHi everyone.

I've heard the word "demo" used here and there and I'm wondering if anyone knows how it all works. If I want to record a song or album for sale, is this something I can do at home with my own equipment, or do I only make a demo, send it to the record companies, and then go through the whole process again with them, or by myself in a professional recording studio?

Thanks!

We live in 2010. The world of digital recording at home is made easier than it has been ever in history. You can now record songs on your laptop that would rival what would cost you a small fortune 15 years ago. The time is now, and all you need are a few things.

1. Make sure you have a computer that runs properly and can handle the work. Recording audio files does work your computer, but not too much. Make sure your computer is updated, and in good shape.

2. Get a good recording program that you are comfortable with. There are many, many out there and some are even free if you search hard enough. I use Logic 9 and it works wonders for me. Having recording software and knowing how to work it is key.

3. Make sure you a decent set of headphones and monitors. If you have decent computer monitors, that will work just fine. Make sure you can hear what you do.

4. Get a good interface. You can spend $100 on an interface and that can account for a wealth of creativity. All you need is something to get from your guitar/mic to the computer. The interface is it.

5. Practice and Patience. You simply now need to put in the time to work with what you have. You honestly can make a little bit go a long way and many people on this forum can attest to that. You don't need much more than a creative mind and ear to make great recordings at home.

Question; what do you currently have now to record with?
Douglas Showalter