View post (Underrated AND Overrated guitarists)

View thread

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
01/28/2002 6:55 pm
Which guitarists do you think are overrated and which ones are underrated? Please stay away from 'he sucks' I think this thread will be interesting if you bring good reasons...

I would say one of the most overrated guitarists ever is Kirk HAMMETT from Metallica... He uses techniques but he seems not to master them (timing sometimes off, not always perfectly executed with ringing open strings for example) I wouldn't mind if that guy wasn't voted 'Best guitarist' by every mag that has 'guitar' on its cover. But there are guitarist that could take his spot, come up with solos that sound as good as his, and maybe be a little more creative...(Steve MORSE is one of them, and he doesn't get half as much recognition...)

Underrated: Well, his friend, James Hetfield. That guy is an amazing rhythm player, nothing new here, but he can play awesome solos, in a LOT of styles, including country!! And it's him that makes the sound of metallica, one of rock's most influential band ever.
Also, all the guys in the studios that could chop everyone's head off with any guitar, anywhere, in any style... I had this tape by Tommy TEDESCO, and WOW, talk about polyvalence and technique!!! Well, there are lots of them out there!