View post (Recommended Mic)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
03/19/2010 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerLast night I finally got a chance to try and record though this mic. I have a PODx3, going into Reaper.

The result was less than ideal. I'm sure it's my lack of knowledge on how to get the most out of my equipment. I found the volume to be very low on the recording and rather thin...

I placed my mic about 4 inches from the amp. I would think that should be close enough. I'm sure I need to figuring out which model of mic settings to use in my PODx3 will definitly help.

Given the amount of studio experience of the instructors around here, I assume that what little I know will be crushed by a volume of very learned knowledge...However...

Somethings to keep in mind...your guitar doesn't always sound great by itself. In many instances, out of a full mix, guitars can tend to sound kinda, well, puny. I honestly had little interest in really recording much until I got a new bass recently because of that reason.

One mono channel of a guitar track is going to always be underwhelming. Start working the stereo field. Whether by recording a new tracking of the guitar (preferably with a slightly different tone) or copy -n- pasting a version of the already recorded track to a new channel, then start messing with stereo panning.

If you remember that short and goofy 'tone' experiment I did months ago that was about a half minute long...While not an engineering masterpiece, if the tone was the least bit fat, it was because I had 5 channels of guitar and two channels of bass. The guitar was panned to all different places in the stereo spectrum with varying frquencies focused on for EQ of the different tracks...and the bass had to be deep and throaty at the same time to make the support of the guitar tone even kinda good (funny that I didn't actually play a bass but 'typed' it on my computer).

Anyway, if the tone sounds good out of your amp, then it seems a matter of how to capture that and manipulate it.