View post (Teaching A Beginner)

View thread

jedft
jedft
02/20/2010 4:42 pm
So I got a GT account to help myself improve. I've been playing for 16 years, off and on, and have recently got the luxury of a couple hours at home after work by myself every day, so I decided to pick it up again. I figured I'd start at the beginning of the Fundamentals courses just in case I'd missed something over the years. I flew through those pretty quickly (and did happen to learn a thing or two) but then my 13 year old daughter decided she wants to learn the guitar. So the other day I started her out on fundamentals #1, with me there to answer questions and help out. I had forgotten how difficult it really is for a beginner, with no musical experience, to learn to play. I taught myself more or less (no lessons, only playing with other friends that were also beginners). So I guess my question is, how long should it take for a true beginner to get through the first fundamentals course? She can play a few fretted notes, but her fingers start to hurt pretty quickly and she's getting frustrated already. I don't want her to give up on it, so I just need some guidance on methods of teaching a true beginner with a low tolerance for pain. Any thoughts or tips?