Letting Go

SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
02/19/2010 10:25 am
How does everybody here 'let go' when they're playing guitar?

What I mean is when you just let rip or get into the zone or whatever but the main thing is you're not thinking "where are my fingers going?" or "what's the chord progression here?".

I know how they did it in the old days but we're all supposed to be so much better at 'finding alternatives' these days!

I was just listening to Planet Rock Radio, here in the UK, you see and I got to wondering :)
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Youtube Channel - Jim47ww[/FONT]
# 1
compart1
compart1
02/19/2010 1:09 pm
I take the acoustic out in the carport when it's nice.. That's when I seem to let go..
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/19/2010 1:10 pm
Originally Posted by: SlickString
I know how they did it in the old days but we're all supposed to be so much better at 'finding alternatives' these days!

What do you mean by this? How did they do it in the old days?

I've only been playing electric for a year, and so take this fwiw, but I get into the zone when I am not trying to duplicate a solo, when I'm doing my own thing, expressing myself in the music and with just an idea of what I want to do.

Take Queen's Tie Your Mother Down. I do the first part of the solo by rote. Don't have much fun with it; I'm just repeating notes and trying to be precise. But in the second part, they dubbed in a slide solo. I don't do slide (yet), so on that part I just rip. And have more fun on that part than the first part.

For that reason, I don't spend time writing my own solos and be overly precise about them. I might work out parts that I know I want to hit at certain points, but they are like talking points in a presentation: I just need to get the point in, but the rest is ad lib.

So for me, getting in The Zone is all about freedom. Just feeling that music and playing what I feel. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
02/19/2010 3:42 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboWhat do you mean by this? How did they do it in the old days?

I suppose I didn't want to be obvious but it was the beer, whisky and drugs of the 60's, 70's and probably every decade since, that I was alluding to.

Think of the Beatles and all that LSD! or Bon Scott who died 30 years ago today or Jimmy Page or, well the list goes on...

Just that release from all worldy matters and being at one with your guitar or however you make your music.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/19/2010 8:06 pm
Originally Posted by: SlickStringI suppose I didn't want to be obvious but it was the beer, whisky and drugs of the 60's, 70's and probably every decade since, that I was alluding to.

Think of the Beatles and all that LSD! or Bon Scott who died 30 years ago today or Jimmy Page or, well the list goes on...

Just that release from all worldy matters and being at one with your guitar or however you make your music.

I had a feeling that was what you meant. ;-) Some days I long to have my adventurous youth once more.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
SlickString
Full Access
SlickString
Full Access
02/20/2010 7:00 pm
To put it a different way....

When do players find that they play their best? Not thinking too much just getting that little bit extra out of their guitar and themselves and being pleasantly surprised or stoked or whatever! :D
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.