View post (Can someone please help a newbie to recording?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
04/02/2010 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: oldtimer70I'm thinking about recording myself at home. My question is, if I use a program like cakewalk or reaper [U]do I need an interface also?[/U] I've looked into the various programs but I'm confused. I have no knowledge of computing or this recording thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The answer is yes.

Think of it this way, you need four things to record:

1) In instrument (the easy part...)
2) A way to record it (the program such as reaper)
3) A way to convert it from your playing in the computer
4) A way to make/capture noise (optional depending on what you record).

So, instrument; check. Recording program, check....even if you don't have it now you know you need it. So.....

You do need an interface no matter what. No matter if it's an electric guitar or acoustic. something has to convert your playing in to the little digital bits that store in your computer. You may need something like this. The type of interface you need may vary from these but it gives you an idea that you essentially need a 'music to computer' converter box.

So, the 'A way to make/capture noise....' part. Ok, so it's not so much a matter of otional but....Well....are you playing acoustic? Do you want to record your amp if electric is your deal? The the way to capture this is to get a mic that can connect to the converter box.

That may be all you need.

However, if recording electric guitar, you have the added option of buying amp simulations (sim) such as IK Multimedia's Amplitube software (IK also sells interfaces too). They allow you to tap a massive array of first class amps all loaded in to a computer program. In all, these types of programs do a really good job. I use the IK stuff. There are others too such as Line 6' Pod Farm stuff. They emulate great, classic and mostly unaffordable amps, If you take your time to dial it in, you get a very good sound.

So, really...different paths to get there. Guitar and program are a given, it's the interface you choose to convert and whether or not you need a mic or may get a amp sim too.

Kinda a short version, I suppose.