View post (Soloing over Jazz Chords)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/20/2010 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: FlyingJbirdSomething I've been looking for in the lessons but haven't found is a lesson on how to do solos over a jazz chord progression.
[/quote]
Here is an intro to the subject:

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=519
[QUOTE=FlyingJbird]
I'm kind of an info/theory freak, and so I know quite a bit about jazz theory, but one thing I haven't grasped fully is how a jazz musician might choose a scale to play over any given jazz chord.

Two fundamental approaches: structural & ornamental.

Structural is regarding the entire piece as in one home key and modualtions are dealt with as they occur, but everything is related back to the home key. You can even just focus on two and three chord blocks that form V-I or ii-V-I (or ii-V-i) changes as they occur. But the idea is to focus on functional harmony.

Ornamental is basically, just whatever sounds good at the time. without worrying about integrating everything that happens to an overall goal or home key. You have to build a mental list of how all possible modes sound and know which sound to pull out and play when you desire that certain sound.

And you can mix those basic approaches within one solo or song, too!

This works for fast or slow tunes or changes.

I am visiting with family right now. So I am short on time. Please have a look at the tutorial. Ask further questions and I will follow up next week!

Have fun with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory