Movie : Heavy Metal in Baghdad.

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/13/2010 10:16 pm
Just watched a documentary movie on a rock band in Iraq. It's a glimpse into the lives of a rock band who started out in Baghdad. How the war has thorn their country apart and how the band has had to overcome the struggles of war and moving out of their country.

Fascinating movie. If you have netflix, rent it.

http://www.myspace.com/wwwacrassicaudas5com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrassicauda
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
02/17/2010 7:31 pm
I saw that one!
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 2
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/17/2010 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Neal WalterI saw that one!

Did you like it? Made me kinda want to find out who these guys are and send them some money.
# 3
Ben_Fussel
Ben_Fussel
02/21/2010 11:14 pm
Wicked, I've been wanting to watch more music docs and music related films....saw It Might Get Loud and We Jam Econo recently, thanks for the suggestion.
# 4
Philtho
Philtho
02/22/2010 10:11 pm
This was a really good documentary and I feel really bad for what they have gone through, and what will probably be the rest of their lives. They really went through a lot to play metal shows in Baghdad. They eventually made their way out of the country to Syria and they hated it there. You would think they would have been happy not to have been randomly blown up in Iraq, but they literally couldn't do much of anything in Syria being immigrants. They couldn't really get jobs or anything.

This post made me look them up to see whats going on and found this on the Wikipedia page:

During the filming it was revealed that the Syrian government did not intend to extend the visas of the band to stay in Syria, as a result, the filmmakers campaigned to raise funds to relocate the band in a safer country, rather than return to Iraq. In 2009, the band were resettled in the United States as refugees.

Sweet!

News article on it here

And on Sunday night, two days after the last of the band’s four members was resettled in the United States, they enjoyed what any metal fan would have to call heaven: bearhugs and “Wow, dude” heart-to-hearts backstage with Metallica at the Prudential Center in Newark. It probably wasn’t necessary for James Hetfield, Metallica’s lead singer, to surprise them after the show by handing over one of his guitars, a black ESP, and signing it “Welcome to America”; their minds were already blown.

Amazing!

The members of Acrassicauda arrived back at their apartment in Elizabeth well past midnight with armfuls of Burger King food for their dinner, but Mr. Talal went straight for the new guitar he had just received from Mr. Hetfield and plugged it into a tiny Peavey amplifier on the floor. With the volume low, he started playing Metallica riffs, and looked up.

“Wow,” he beamed, and then went back to the guitar.

\m/
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/22/2010 10:22 pm
After I posted this, I seen something where they relocated here. Good for them. Hope they have lots of success!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.