Tommy Emmanuel

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/10/2010 10:06 pm
This past Monday, I had the honor of sitting in on a clinic by Australian guitar virtuoso Tommy Emmanuel at Musicians Institute. I had not heard of him until about 5 years ago, and since than I look to him as one of the greatest guitarists and entertainers of the instrument. His playing and outlook on music and life is nothing short of inspiring, and I have attached some links for all of you to check him out if you have never heard of him. Take the time to explore this amazing talent.

Tommy Emmanuel - Those Who Wait

Tommy Emmanuel - Beatles Medley

Tommy Emmanuel - Angelina

Tommy Emmanuel - Interview (1 of 2)

Tommy Emmanuel - Interview (2 of 2)
Douglas Showalter
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 12:56 am
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterThis past Monday, I had the honor of sitting in on a clinic by Australian guitar virtuoso Tommy Emmanuel at Musicians Institute.

Good for you! Tommy is a monster. I typically don't enjoy steel sting acoustic guitar, bluegrassy or new agey music. But even though Tommy's playing often involves or includes all of those, I still enjoy his playing enormously.

His ability to orchestrate two & three parts simultaneously is absolutely fabulous. :) His version of Scott Joplin's "The Entertainer" is even better than Chet Atkins'. And that's no easy task.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/11/2010 1:08 am
...and Classical Gas too.

I think sometimes a great player transcends the style and is compelling because of what they bring to the instrument. For me, it was Albert Lee with country chicken pickin'...Tommy is one of those that makes whatever he does compelling.
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2010 10:36 pm
Agreed. I can all too often become very bored with solo acoustic guitar playing, no matter how amazing it may be. It simply has to move me, and I have to find the writing interesting. There are so many players out there doing the solo acoustic thing, but only a handful I feel do it in a way that really makes a statement and can transcend to audiences outside of the genre.

Glad you are a fan. I recommend strongly the album "Only" if you don't already own it. This album really made me a big, big fan. :)
Douglas Showalter
# 4
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
03/03/2010 2:51 am
Tommy is great. I also have the same opinion as Douglas about acoustic guitar music. It has to be moving and interesting. I highly recommend checking out an acoustic group called Rodrigo y Gabriela. Its 2 people. They have some great acoustic guitar music.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"-Victor Hugo
# 5
baileydennisw
baileydennisw
03/03/2010 2:32 pm
here is a really cool video of him in comcert doing guitar boogie enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZL7GkqeRI

dennis
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.