IK's Stealth Interfaces and Amplitube Amp Sims

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/08/2010 7:09 am
IK's Stealth and Amplitube Products - Review

Summary:
In all, I found the IK line of products to be very useful and well worth the investment. They are very usable, user friendly, reliable thus far and a very good value.

Hardware:
Both pieces of hardware are essentially a midi interface to take your analog signal and digitize it making it record ready to your DAW of choice (or in a standalone mode discussed later). Note that I own and used both hardware items described. What I like about these is not only do they drive IK software but they also can be used as a simple midi input and, for instance, will also drive the onboard Sims preloaded in Garageband (Mac).

[U]Stealth Plug:[/U]

Amplitube Ampeg SVX Bass Features Link >>
Amplitube Ampeg SVX Bass Audio Demos Link >>
Ok, haven't used it yet. Planned ahead in ordering this. I have a bass on the way so I'll know soon enough. I think point in mentioning this is that IK's focus isn't solely on guitar but Bass too.

Thoughts:
Pretty obviously, I like the products that I've obtained. I haven't been able to max out my experience with them yet but it is due to the incredible amount of options each package contains. Key is that they're very good at exactly what they are tying to do; simulate a classic amp tone. I've heard it said that you can't completely emulate the sound of a great amp and a high quality mic in a studio. I agree. There is an enormity to that sound that is hard to come by.

However, owning several expensive amps, delicate and costly mics and a great studio room is not in the cards for most all players. So, this gets you far further along that what the average Joe can get from a home studio. The case can be made for sacrifices with amp sims but they are few.

With that in mind, hunting down a good sim/interface package, IK is a good choice in my opinion. Easy to use. Can be used in a DAW or stand alone. Tone options and tinkering make for a pretty compelling bunch of products. The hardware is easy and well made. Worth consideration.

Availability (Sweetwater):
Sweetwater IK USB Interfaces Link >>
Sweetwater IK Amplitube Guitar and Bass Software Link >>
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/09/2010 8:02 am
Thanks for the review, Jeff. Its great to see someone take the time to provide some useful details. :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
02/12/2010 11:54 pm
I agree. Great stuff!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
IzzyPhoreal
IzzyPhoreal
03/18/2012 12:29 pm
Thanks Jeff for taking the time to explain your setup in great detail, it was very informative. I've tried several sofware based effect and amp simulators, and I've found (as you pointed out), a good quality interface for your instrument and some kind of hardware controller are a must.

You also need a decent computer, especially if you are planning on recording at the same time you're using theses sims.

My personal opinon is that for studio work those sims are great, but for giging I would prefer to use a standalone effects system such as the Digitec RP500.
# 4
jeffnight
Full Access
jeffnight
Full Access
12/01/2013 1:38 pm
Thanks for all that information Jeff,you explained it all pretty much in depth. You seem well impressed with the different bundles you can get. I think there is also a custom shop online.
Cheers Jeff
# 5
Mason Bruce
Mason Bruce
05/23/2014 5:57 am
Thanks for the info, think I'll get the stealth one for now.
# 6
Sinnerman
Sinnerman
10/25/2014 7:56 am
Thanks Jeff, that is a really useful.

What do you hook this up to when practising? Headphones, studio monitors?

Chris
# 7
JeffS65
JeffS65
10/27/2014 11:34 pm
Originally Posted by: SinnermanThanks Jeff, that is a really useful.

What do you hook this up to when practising? Headphones, studio monitors?

Chris

Headphones. Both the plug and the pedal have a headphone jack. Since these can be standalone outside of a DAW, it's great for practicing.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.