Do you use your string locks on a tremolos setup?

hunter1801
hunter1801
01/31/2010 6:53 pm
I just came across this website that advises not to even bother using the string locks (locking the string at the nut). I also noticed a couple friends of mine that have removed their string locks on their floating bridge setup guitars. What do you guys think of this?

Here is the website listing why you shouldnt use them:
http://www.theorylessons.com/stringing1.html

I'll just copy/paste what they said though:

A little about string locks

First off, I'd like to say a few words regarding string-locks. Don't use them! String locks are a horrible idea that will only complicate everything from stringing to tuning to breaking strings. Not every guitar has these, but many with fancy tremolo units do. String-locks are the little clamps that tighten down on the strings to "lock" them in place. Though this might sound like a good idea, lets look at some of the reasons why it isn't.

Reason #1 - stringlocks are designed to keep your guitar in tune which would be fabulous except for the fact that most tuning problems are a result of the strings stretching and not slipping on the tuning posts. The locks won't help in this area. I'll show you a technique for locking the string in at the tuning post so that it doesn't slip, curing this problem while avoiding reason #2.

Reason #2 - stringlocks crimp the string, causing a weak spot in the string where you lock it. I am sure many of you have experienced strings breaking right where they go into the lock which is not a good thing. This happens because of the locks weakening the string where they are crimped, causing you to suffer more string breakages.

Reason #3 - it is much more difficult to change strings when using these locks, and takes much longer. When you break a string on stage you need to be able to replace the string as quickly as possible, and the job is twice as fast without these locks getting in the way. Having to search for your allen key or proper tool to use the locks in the middle of a show is a big no-no, you should be able to change strings quickly and easily without any special tools. Seems kinda silly that you would take twice as long to put a new string on only to weaken it and have more chance of it breaking as well.

Reason #4 - fine-tuners are great, when they aren't your only option. If you use stringlocks, how many times have you run out of adjustment on your fine tuners? When your strings are locked at the nut, you can't use your tuning posts. This can be a serious problem in the middle of a tough show where you have stretched out your strings enough so you run out of fine tuner adjustment. And guess what, you can't loosen the locks to make an adjustment for it because of the weak spot in your string from the lock, and trying to unlock and retune will certainly end in a broken string. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to tune my guitar when it needs it.

I should note that string locks are made for heavy tremolo use, and if you are one of those people who like heavy tremolo like diving until the strings fall loose on your guitar, you may be one of the few who should use these. Most people do not use the tremolo that much though, and the bad far outweighs the good here for most people. If you are a performing pro who uses heavy tremolo, then my advice would be to have a guitar that uses stringlocks just for those songs. This makes life much easier and you aren't dependent on your strings for the whole show anyway.

All in all, it is much better to use a nice locking technique at the tuning post so they don't slip and leave these string locks to the few people who really need them. Now lets move on to the next lesson where we will cover actually stringing your guitar up properly, since this has grown into a full lesson on the drawbacks of stringlocks.

# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/02/2010 2:39 am
Anyone? :confused:
# 2
WilCon
WilCon
02/02/2010 3:33 am
Seems interesting. I do not use a tremolo and currently don't own a guitar with one, so I can't comment first hand. It makes sense what he is saying as most tremolo units are non locking and the FR was designed for the truly deep dives.
# 3
ren
ren
02/02/2010 9:42 am
Yep, I use the locking nut on all my guitars that have them. Most of my guitars have floyd bridges - I'm not a huge divebomber but now and again I might go for one.... :)

Once I stretch the strings in and get tuning stable I can lock the nut down and the guitar will stay in tune for as long as the strings last... maybe a minor touch on a fine tuners now and again but I have no problems. The points the guy makes against using them could easily be resolved by learning how the assembly works, and arguably by buying a better quality guitar with a better quality bridge.

To take his points in turn:

1 - No tuner post is going to keep your strings secure if you're a trem abuser.... and if you're not, why have you gone for a guitar with a double locking trem?

2 - Debateable, but I've never had a string break at the nut. They always break either at the bridge due to the extreme break angle or right under my fingers from my enthusiasm... I doubt this has much truth to it.

3 - More an argument against floating bridges. String changing is more difficult as the whole instrument goes out of tune, but not locking the nut down will make no difference to this. Also, what would you be doing playing a show with only one guitar resulting in you having to run off stage to spend 10 mins changing strings? Always have a backup....

4 - You don't suddenly run out of rope on a fine-tuner, so you just need to be aware of what you're doing and take action ahead of time.

Sounds like maybe this guy just doesn't like the double-locking type of guitar which is fine. It might be better for him to say 'If you're starting out, buy a hardtail guitar', which is also reasonable advice - less to worry about etc. I can see no reason to have a double locking guitar and not lock the nut - the only time I don't do it is on one guitar where I play with the tuning so regularly that it doesn't seem worthwhile. I take 3 guitars when I play live, sometimes more so I can just swap and carry on, but in all my years of playing I've only once broken a string during a show.

Buy a double locking guitar and double lock it, or don't buy one... I can't see the point in going down the middle road. Ask your friends why they do it, I'm curious :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
02/02/2010 2:46 pm
I've only been using a Floyd for a short time, so I wanted to see what other people had to say. I would make the same points as Ren in each case, I think.

1) They make locking tuners for a reason. Locking nuts are another solution to the same problem. 2) I've never (yet) had a string break at the nut 3) always have a spare when playing live (fool! :D) 4) resetting the fine tuners was the first thing I figured out. Didn't even have to be told.

This guy just sounds frustrated.

I have to say that I bitch, whine, and moan the whole time I am setting up, or restringing a Floyd, but once you get it there, that's it. It's done. It lasts as long as your strings do.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
02/02/2010 8:33 pm
Didn't think of it that way. The guy's ideas sound good on paper...but in real life it sounds like someone who is playing shows unprepared. As for why my friends do it, I think it may be due to the reason that you mentioned you didn't on one of your guitars; alternate tunings. We're playing stuff in drop D right now, and I know the guitarist plays other stuff too when he's not with us. Maybe its for that reason but I'll ask when we practice tomorrow.
# 6
JeffS65
JeffS65
02/04/2010 3:44 am
I got my thoughts below....

I found this to be someone who has 'his/her' way that seems to want to be different or revolutionary but since guitar tech to rock stars haven't picked up on this wisdom and their artists seems to stay in tune, well...I'm not buying. I understand that I am a bit direct below but I found the tone of the writer to be a bit smug...Don't know why but I did.

------------------------------------------------
Reason #1 - stringlocks are designed to keep your guitar in tune which would be fabulous except for the fact that most tuning problems are a result of the strings stretching and not slipping on the tuning posts. The locks won't help in this area. I'll show you a technique for locking the string in at the tuning post so that it doesn't slip, curing this problem while avoiding reason #2.

Interesting. If you're putting new strings on a guitar, you can take time to stretch them 'by hand' which should be done when completely re-stringing or even just a string on any guitar so as to avoid re-tuning no matter the configuration. Yes, locks won't help but that's not the point of locks. The point of a lock is to be able to use the trem to vary the note pitch and when returning to E440 at the end of the whammy that it isn't out of tune because of a snag on the nut or a tuner lost a little tension.

Reason #2 - stringlocks crimp the string, causing a weak spot in the string where you lock it. I am sure many of you have experienced strings breaking right where they go into the lock which is not a good thing. This happens because of the locks weakening the string where they are crimped, causing you to suffer more string breakages.

Like another said, never broke one at the nut ever and I had two guitars for a number of years with Floyds and was a regular user of the bar. The idea seems to lack physics, the fulcrum point (the bridge) is the weak link in the chain because that is where the string experiences the most stress.

Reason #3 - it is much more difficult to change strings when using these locks, and takes much longer. When you break a string on stage you need to be able to replace the string as quickly as possible, and the job is twice as fast without these locks getting in the way. Having to search for your allen key or proper tool to use the locks in the middle of a show is a big no-no, you should be able to change strings quickly and easily without any special tools. Seems kinda silly that you would take twice as long to put a new string on only to weaken it and have more chance of it breaking as well.

Yes, it is not as fast but you also don't have make folks stand around while you re-tune the Strat every time you want to use the bar. Give and take. Search for any Allen Wrench? Both Floyd kits I had came with a handy Allen Wrench holder that mounted on the back of the headstock. Never needed to look for it. This reason is just makin' stuff up.

Reason #4 - fine-tuners are great, when they aren't your only option. If you use stringlocks, how many times have you run out of adjustment on your fine tuners? When your strings are locked at the nut, you can't use your tuning posts. This can be a serious problem in the middle of a tough show where you have stretched out your strings enough so you run out of fine tuner adjustment. And guess what, you can't loosen the locks to make an adjustment for it because of the weak spot in your string from the lock, and trying to unlock and retune will certainly end in a broken string. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to tune my guitar when it needs it.

Again, the stretched string thing. Has the writer ever seen Eddie Van Halen have this issue? Proper string stretching will do the trick. As for fine tuners, well, yes you can run out of tune ability but if you did the string change right and set your fine tuner correctly, not a real issue. I won't say it will never happen but so rare that as for a reason, I wouldn't say it's a big deal. Suffice it to say that I did set ups on my guitars more often than this occurred. Like a car, I brought it in for regular TLC (every few months). So, not a big deal.

I should note that string locks are made for heavy tremolo use, and if you are one of those people who like heavy tremolo like diving until the strings fall loose on your guitar, you may be one of the few who should use these. Most people do not use the tremolo that much though, and the bad far outweighs the good here for most people. If you are a performing pro who uses heavy tremolo, then my advice would be to have a guitar that uses stringlocks just for those songs. This makes life much easier and you aren't dependent on your strings for the whole show anyway.

So an I to understand that people who aren't going to use a whammy are buying guitars that have them? I guess that could be the case but I'm not sure I recall someone that had one that didn't use it.

It's a bit like telling us that if you drive fast, you want to get a performance car but you may break down more often from driving fast. However, if you aren't going to drive fast, then you don't need a performance car. It's true but a bit obvious.

All in all, it is much better to use a nice locking technique at the tuning post so they don't slip and leave these string locks to the few people who really need them. Now lets move on to the next lesson where we will cover actually stringing your guitar up properly, since this has grown into a full lesson on the drawbacks of stringlocks.

To be honest, this whole thing would have been much more useful had the writer given a solution. How file a nut smooth or using things like graphite to allow less friction at the nut or getting Sperzel locking tuners.

Absent a solution, what is the value of the anti-locking lecture?
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.