Windsor Studio dead - kinda - need help.

wrenchmonkey
wrenchmonkey
01/30/2010 1:07 am
I have a Peavey Windsor Studio 15w tube amp. Plays beautifully, normally.

I had it cranked up pretty good tonight playing along with my son on drums. After about 10 minutes into it, she quit. No sound.

I had the Power Sponge at 100%, pre-amp volume up quite high (10 or 11) and the Master volume set at about 4.

The EL34 power tube under the Power Sponge cage is glowing, I can hear transformers humming and when I flip the standby on and off I can still hear the familiar echo sound.

Now the kicker. As per the thread "Diagnosing a tube amp" under the "gear Discussion" area (03-18-2008), HDJ suggested that Brokenjera plug into the return of the effects loop to narrow down pre-amp / power amp section problems. So I did, and I have sound. So now I know it is in the pre-amp section.

Some advice and even opinions would be appreciated before I try and tackle this or give up and take her in.

Did I pop one of the 12AX7 pre-amp tubes? Something even more ominous? Maybe a loose tube (going to try and wiggle them tonight).

Thanks,

Chris
I'm not OCD I'm CDO, the letters must be in alphabetical order!
# 1
wrenchmonkey
wrenchmonkey
01/31/2010 1:20 am
Ok, figured I would try and pull the pre-amp tubes and see what would happen. I used a donor out of my Super Champ and did some swapping around.

The good news is that it isn't the tubes. Bad news is that I don't know what it is. I do know that everything, including the Super Champ is working now.

I think something must have come loose while I had her cranked and OD'ed.

Either way, for now anyway, both amps are running and sounding like a dream.

Thanks to all who have been doing some thinking on this for me.

Chris.
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/31/2010 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: wrenchmonkeyI do know that everything, including the Super Champ is working now.

Thanks to all who have been doing some thinking on this for me.

Clearly the power of positive thought at work. Our collective energy fixed your amp! :D
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
WilCon
WilCon
01/31/2010 3:04 pm
Could have been just a tube came loose. When you moved them around it fixed the issue. Well that is exactly what you did but you get what I mean. I wouldn't think about it too much.
# 4
wrenchmonkey
wrenchmonkey
02/01/2010 1:03 am
Yep, exactly what I was thinking. I figured when I had her cranked and vibrating good, one of the tubes must have backed out.

What I can't figure about it though is that both pre-amp tubes felt tight and they both still had the spring cap style keepers on them, shouldn't have loosened off.

What keeps bothering me in the back of my mind is what is going on with the socket or something in that area?

On the plus side everything is still humming like a top and working great. And if for some reason it stops again, it will give me the excuse to drop the chassis and have a look around. No schematics on the net that I can find but how hard could it be :D

Power of positive thinking!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.