Bugera V22

WilCon
WilCon
01/26/2010 2:07 am
Bugera V22: So I had been chasing some nice smooth tone and a classic crunch for rock. I muddled around looking for an amplifier and stumbled on some Bugera reviews on YouTube. Really liked the look and the sound. Went to the local Guitar Center looking for the smaller V5 as an inexpensive tube practice amp that sounded nice through a small cab. Stumbled on this beauty and decided that twice the price was perfect. :D

Review.

Depends on what you are looking for. Here's what I like. 2 channel clean and lead, foot switch controlled (included, and it also controls reverb), 3 12AX7 and 2 El84 with a switchable half power mode allowing triode tones that are gentler and smoother. I have to admit to this being very classic blues sounding and it's nice distortion but not overbearing. With the mode switch on full it flat screams, big full rock (think AC/DC not Megadeth) and bright cleans, the speaker is very responsive (single 12in Bugera). Switchable impedance which I haven't used but will be handy for using any cab out there. My son said it was too loud so it's perfect so far. Lastly fit and finish. It's a little more vintage than I was looking for but I don't mind as it sounds phenomenal. Well put together and not the lightest amp in the world but compared to my vintage SS Randall it's a featherweight. The only potential complaint is digital reverb, so far it sounds good and is well controlled so it falls into a no thumbs up no thumbs down category.
# 1
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/26/2010 2:35 pm
Thanks for your review. I've considered a V22 myself. Just sold my Bugera 6262 head........It had wonderful tone. I think Bugera amps are a great value.
Doug
# 2
bigboose84
bigboose84
02/27/2010 5:55 am
Thanks for the info. I was looking into buying the V55 head and 2-12 cab and it sounds fantastic an amazing clean channel. And with your review of your V22 I think you helped me make my decision. Thanks again eh.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.