whats the difference between gibson and epiphone

jk1109
Full Access
jk1109
Full Access
01/03/2010 11:12 pm
In the future i was going to get a new guitar, i was going to get a epiphone black beauty les paul. I just wanted to know is there a difference between gibson and epiphone because i want to get the best guitar i can get.
(chicken pickin )
# 1
Infinite-T
Full Access
Infinite-T
Full Access
01/04/2010 5:16 am
Firstly, I actually owned an Epi Black Beaut back in the mid 90's. It was a very awesome (kinda heavy) guitar! I Loved it, and allas, it was stollen in i think it was 2000. A great guitar for the money.

Now the difference between epi and Gibson. Besides price, Epi is made outside the US. Some in China and some in various other countries. Having played Epis and Gibson extensivly they are both very good. The epi's are cheaper because they are cheaper to make. IE; its cheaper to pay a Chinese worker 5 bucks an hour to make a guitar than an American guy 40 an hour. I guess there are some minor quality differences in materials and workmanship that go along with that territory.

But Having played and owned 2 Epis they are very good for the price. The Black Beauty is one of the best (IMO) LP's they make, and for the price, you wont find a better quality E LP.

Gibson, you get the name, the top notch quality, the warrenty, the workmanship but at least double the price. Great if you have the cash.

I have been 110% happy with both my Epi's and my Gibson. I miss my Black Beaut to this day. Play one to make sure, but rest easy that is is a great axe. At that price range, you could only buy the stripped down "faded" Gibson LPs. You would probably get the same playability and sound but better cosmetics with the BB.

Rock on!
# 2
Jamler
Jamler
01/04/2010 3:53 pm
As the prior reply indicates... The difference will be in the quality of the materials... And let me state that again, the quality in the materials.

So on the Gibson you'll get better quality Vol/Tone pots and wiring and pickups.
That said, IMHO, you won't see much difference in the workmanship. Perhaps a better finish since they'll typically use the nicer lacquer on the Gibson, and likely better HW all around.

To be totally honest... If you really don't care about brands and labels...
I just got a Schecter Tempest Balckjack, and I have to say for the $$$ it far
exceeds anything I've played in Gibson's regular production. Pickups are genuine Seymour Duncan, Bridge is Tone-Pros tune-o-matic... Came with locking tuners
and the body is solid mahogany with nice grey pearl binding on top and headstock. IMHO an overall brilliant guitar for the $. To get similar quality from Gibson/Epi your looking at Custom/Elite lines respectively
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.