strings far away from fretboard.

jk1109
Full Access
jk1109
Full Access
01/03/2010 10:01 pm
I have a epiphone sg and played it for 6 mounths. I like it but now when I try to bend high on the fretboard, the other strings are in the way. I need to bend under strings to just to move a half step. I have a tune-o-matic bridge if that has anything to do with it. So is there anything i can do?
(chicken pickin )
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
01/03/2010 10:56 pm
Raise or lower the bridge to get an action that suits you Are you saying that something has changed about it in the last six months?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
jk1109
Full Access
jk1109
Full Access
01/03/2010 11:00 pm
i was just trying to play run to the hills then noticed it was like that. i don't no if was like that before.
(chicken pickin )
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
01/05/2010 8:34 am
Hey jimmyk,
I think Razbo is right, setting the action (distance between strings, and fret board) would probably take care of the problem.

Since you haven't had the guitar very long, I don't think it would be a neck problem. Try setting the action first, though I'm not familiar with the tune-o-matic it should basically be like other bridges. There should be screws to set the height of the strings, and I would lower the 6th string first.

It's the heaviest string, and you should be able to see how much of a difference it makes. If any of the strings have a buzz after you lower them, you'll have to raise them until they don't buzz.

On the bending issue, you may want to check out my latest tutorial for some tips for bending strings.

This one is bending the 2nd string
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=628

This one is bending the 3rd string
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=889

Both have a video with tips only, how to get more control over the bend, blocking strings, and what you can do after the bend. I wouldn't suggest bending up under the other strings, that will probably give you some unwanted notes. Most of the time I bend using the ring finger and push up to bend on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd string. I pull the string down to bend it on the 4th, 5th, and 6th string. There are exceptions to every rule, but most of the time I do it this way.

Let's say you're pushing up on the 3rd string in the 9th fret, bending a half step. As you bend the string, the finger you're bending with should be over the 4th string. If you try to get under the 4th string, the fingernail can cause the 4th string to buzz. Giving you the unwanted note I mentioned, then it's too late to block the string. Your finger being over the 4th string will help you keep that note from sounding.

Lowering your action, should keep you from getting under the other strings when you bend. Just get the 6th string low enough, that it doesn't buzz. Then lower the others, doing this will also make your guitar easier to play. Let me know if this helps, and I hope it does. If I totally missed what you were saying, let me know that too so we can help you fix this problem.

Keep on pickin' and best of luck to you in this new year.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.