Epiphone Special II tuning problem

MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
12/31/2009 12:03 pm
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I have an Epiphone Special II electric guitar and have a problem with it staying in tune. I think i know what the problem is, but just need someone to confirm my suspicions before i go and spend some money.

Strings are well streched, and wound correctly (I have two acoustics which stay in tune perfectly) I am using the same brand of strings as for the other guitars.

The G and B strings are the main culprits, and i am thinking it may be the tuners slipping (I know they are quite cheap)

If someone can confirm this is the problem, are there any reccomendations for replacement tuners? or should i be looking elsewhere?

Many thanks

Mike
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/31/2009 12:55 pm
I have one of those guitars. Mine happens to stay in tune well, but I think components on the "lesser" guitars are a little more hit and miss.

If this is the only set of strings you've had on this guitar, then you might want to try another set, just to be sure. The occasional set of bum strings is made by any company.

Otherwise, you are probably right on the mark. I have a cheap guitar to keep in the workshop with sucky tuners and the damn thing never stays in tune. (Not that it would anyway in that environment.)

Grover's a good brand. Also Schaller and Gotoh. Check out Stewart Macdonald http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners.html
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
12/31/2009 1:36 pm
I've had a couple of sets of strings on it since i bought it, so not the strings.

Thanks for the tips, I'm in UK so will have to look for a set of tuners here.

Thanks
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/31/2009 2:05 pm
Hm, one last thing could be binding at the nut. My impression is that it's not likely the problem, but you could try lubricating the nut slots. There's products to buy or you could shave some graphite from a pencil lead.

Just trying to think of cheap things to try... I hate spending money :)

If you go purchasing tuners, a decent set can cost a fair bit. I put a set of Grover mini's on my last build and they were $50 US.

I'm not sure which sets might match exactly the screw holes of the Epi. I replaced tuners on my parts-caster with Grover 18:1 Rotomatics and had to fill the existing screw holes and drill new ones.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
12/31/2009 3:04 pm
I don't think it is binding at the nut, the tuners seem very easy to turn, not the positive action i get on my acoustics. I called a local guitar store and they suggested the grovenor at £45 a set (whats happened to the pound against the dollar?)

I'm not too concerned about drilling new screw holes, I'm pretty handy at that sort of thing.

Thanks

Mike
# 5
MikeFaulkner
MikeFaulkner
01/27/2010 1:48 pm
Just to give an update on this.

I replaced the tuners today, put on a new set of strings, gave them a good stretch and it stays in tune, spot on. The old tuners looked very cheap once i took them off and looked at them.

So problem solved, thanks to those who replied.

Mike
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.