New Music for X-Mas

Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2009 4:52 am
So, we all get musical gifts, accessories, etc. for the holidays. I-Tunes cards, CD's, records; whatever meets your audio needs. So, please share what new music you obtained for X-mas that has sparked new inspiration in your life. Here is a list of some bands that I got some records and select tracks from. All of which have brought me some new inspiration towards the guitar and the drive of being a musician.

The Dirty Projectors
Mew
STS9
Pearl Jam (new album)
The Knife
Venetian Snares
Bibio
Mux Mool
Thom Yorke
Bon Iver
The Glitch Mob
Bilal

Share away.......
Douglas Showalter
# 1
Dom IG
Full Access
Dom IG
Full Access
01/12/2010 2:47 am
I got a B.B. King collection and The Joe Satriani anthology. They definetely inspired me to play.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent"-Victor Hugo
# 2
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
01/12/2010 3:00 pm
yeah I have to say I didnt get much music this year. I got AC/DC, Green day and John Mayers new cd's and the John Mayer dvd which I heard was awesome...havent watched it yet!
# 3
EASDave
EASDave
01/12/2010 5:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterSo, we all get musical gifts, accessories, etc. for the holidays. I-Tunes cards, CD's, records; whatever meets your audio needs. So, please share what new music you obtained for X-mas that has sparked new inspiration in your life. Here is a list of some bands that I got some records and select tracks from. All of which have brought me some new inspiration towards the guitar and the drive of being a musician.

The Dirty Projectors
Mew
STS9
Pearl Jam (new album)
The Knife
Venetian Snares
Bibio
Mux Mool
Thom Yorke
Bon Iver
The Glitch Mob
Bilal

Share away.......

Douglas, an interesting but somewhat esoteric selection (as far as I'm concerned, anyway!). I must admit I had to resort to Napster to give most of them a listen although I do have the Thom Yorke (The Eraser?) and Pearl Jam (Backspacer?).

I got The Tom Petty Live Anthology. I don't think he's made a bad album in the 30 odd years he's been around.

I've also been picking up some early Bonnie Raitt stuff and also Janis Joplin which sounds a bit dated but, boy, could she belt it out!

Dave.
# 4
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/12/2010 6:24 pm
Thanks for taking the time to check out that noise. As a guitar player, I obviously have a lot of love for the classics and grew up on classic rock, souther rock, prog; you name it! However, I have always made a hard attempt at staying up on what's current as I am and always will be a fan first. That being said, I always listen to KCRW (local SoCal station that plays indie music), surf through I-tunes, and frequent record shops to stay up on what's going on in modern music. What is interesting to point out is that while I am up on many of these bands, I am often not in the loop of pop music and what are the current chart toppers. Living in LA and having many of these producers and artists in my backyard, you would think I would be up on this. I have always been an indie kid at heart and have always veered more towards music that was pushing the envelope a bit. I feel that is somewhat evident in my videos and what I do for Guitar Tricks.

Again, thanks so much for taking the to explore some new sounds and keep me posted on your progress through GT. Happy New Year! ;)
Douglas Showalter
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.