Recommendations for Active Monitors?

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/18/2009 2:25 pm
I'm wanting to get some decent active monitors for my PC for recording work & general playback.

Nothing X.1 with a subwoofer channel. I've tried a few of those and do not like them. I realize I can spend a few grand on this, but I need to keep it to a few hundred (or even less). ....Probably asking a lot!!

I've had decent sound using a stereo amp & passive speakers, but my 'spare' stereo now resides in my workshop. I have a really cheap stereo I input my sound card to now, but it's still better than 2.1 system I've used.

I'd really prefer monitors because of space issues, so I was hoping for any recommendations anyone might have.

I have nothing special for a sound card. I also wonder if it's going to have much impact on my sound regardless of how nice the monitors are?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/29/2009 5:58 am
I use the KRK Rockit 5 monitors, and for the money I don't think you can beat them. They sound great and are very inexpensive. They have many different models and it is all about finding what is best for you. I would recommend these as they are not too big and loud, but also give you enough headroom to get what you need out of a good recording. Here is a link to Guitar Center's page where you can read about them.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-104908710-i1403132.gc
Douglas Showalter
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/29/2009 2:50 pm
Thanks, I'll check into those.

I was speaking with a couple of people about monitors and am getting the recommendation to go for a stereo & speakers & run thru that. Reason being, monitors are designed to produce a flat output and not at all a sound one would tend to "listen" to (ala chucking a CD on the stereo).

This bears out comparing a pair of (old) Centrios passive monitors I have vs. even a crappy pair of micro stereo speakers... the micros sound way better on the bottom end.

I'll check into those you mentioned, but I have a feeling I'll be buying a new stereo just to hook up to my PC. :p
# 3
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2009 5:18 am
Some of the things you are stating are a matter of opinion, and you are right; studio monitors vs. stereo speakers will give you COMPLETELY different results. To say one is better than the other in whatever case simply falls on you and what your intention is. If you are trying to be a better engineer and you really want to better your recording skills, than you want some studio monitors to give you that. A home stereo isn't much of a substitute in this case, but if you are just recording for fun and if this works for you; than I would go for that. It doesn't hurt to have both in the event that you want to switch back and forth between the two, if that is in your means. However, good studio monitors make great playback speakers for music, TV, etc.; especially those KRK's.

Best of luck on your decision.
Douglas Showalter
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
12/30/2009 7:18 pm
To be clear (in case I wasn't) the purpose is for playback and accompaniment. My gripe was that most speaker systems make use of a subwoofer, which I don't prefer. Hopefully some retailer around me will carry those KRK's. Problem is to hear things before you buy them.

Eventually I might be more motivated to record, but it's not my priority right now. Funny, too because I remember having a 2-track reel to reel that I would pile the dubs onto... Spent hours & hours pretending I was Phil Collins lol!

Anyway, it really would be nice to get both uses in one package.

[EDIT]

To be clear (in case I wasn't)...

I get it! I posted this in the Recording Forum, duh! Yeah. well as I said it would be nice to have a set that was great for both, but unless these KRK's are really happening in that way, I'm going to have a dual system. At least I already have flat monitors.

Anyway, sorry for the confusion. I can see how I got us there now. :rolleyes:
# 5
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2009 12:09 am
LOL it's all good sir. Best of luck with your choices and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you with this.
Douglas Showalter
# 6
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
01/07/2010 10:16 pm
I've used the same set of $200 Fostex monitors (with sub-woofer) for mixing and "mastering" my albums for ten years, and I haven't been thrown out of the music business yet.

I'm still trying, though.

Just remember, most people who listen to music are deaf! :)

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer

# 7
Gianluca Bruno
Gianluca Bruno
01/16/2010 8:41 pm
I have my JBL's 4328P's for my home studio and they are amazing. They are a little bit more expensive, but well worth the money.
# 8
JonChorba
JonChorba
12/02/2010 2:06 am
Originally Posted by: Gianluca BrunoI have my JBL's 4328P's for my home studio and they are amazing. They are a little bit more expensive, but well worth the money.

+1

They are what I use and I highly recommend them.
Looking for Guitar Lesson in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? Check out my Guitar Lessons In Arlington website!
# 9
darkfrett
darkfrett
12/13/2010 12:27 pm
I use a cheap amplified computer system to jam with. I hardly ever monitor when recording; but, if I decide to, I have a 500wt per channel pa system to use. But on stage I need to buy powered monitors. A friend of mine let me use his. The sound quallity was not near as good as the pa system; but, there was only 2 floor monitors rated at 100 watts. I think those were Kustom 12 inch. They only cost $119 each. You can add whatever you need without worrying about ohms.
# 10
kddean66
kddean66
12/30/2010 4:20 am
Originally Posted by: Gianluca BrunoI have my JBL's 4328P's for my home studio and they are amazing. They are a little bit more expensive, but well worth the money.

If you like the JBLs but don't want to spend as much, you can get the JBL 2325p speakers for around $200 each. You can add a controller and a subwoofer if you like or you can run them without. I have a pair of these without the controller and sub and they sound fantastic. I may purchase the controller eventually because it allows you to setup the speaker frequencies based on your room acoustics.
Martin HD-28
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Egnater Renegade
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.