Songwriting for guitar book?

ladyc
ladyc
12/09/2009 3:28 pm
Hi, I am interested in writing songs for the guitar. I have been playing classical guitar for about tens years and started with accompaniment guitar a couple of years ago. I studied 'solfege' (I guess it is called music theory in English?) a while ago and don't remember most of it. I am interested in writing some songs for the guitar or as well as better understanding how songs are written and why those chords go together. Does anyone know of a good book that I should buy?
# 1
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/10/2009 12:40 am
There are a ton of songwriting books, classes, and other resources available out there. The way I would approach it is first listen to song writers that you truly love and see what they do. Along with this, yes; a good song writing book doesn't hurt if this concept is new to you. Here are a few I stumbled across;

http://www.amazon.com/Songwriting-Sourcebook-Chords-Great-Songs/dp/0879307498/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260405289&sr=8-11

http://www.amazon.com/Songwriting-Dummies-Jim-Peterik/dp/0764554042/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260405364&sr=8-1

As you progress, through this; thus begins the dreaded, but rewarding, process of trial and error. A great avenue to get feedback is by simply using this site; uploading your tunes through the forum. There are many users and instructors on this forum that are working professionals in the music business and are always happy to help and to provide feedback.

Best of luck on your journey and keep us posted along the way......
Douglas Showalter
# 2
shayman1
shayman1
12/16/2009 5:52 pm
Hi Ladyc
This is an excellent book too and covers everything you would need to know. It has a superb chord chart that shows chords that work with each other and also breaks down 100s of popular songs into their chord structures so that you can easily see how they work. It discusses 2, 3 and 4 chord songs, song structure, melody, lyrics etc.

I don't thinks there's been a bad review for it.

Hope it helps.

Shayman

How To Write Songs On Guitar - Revised USA VERSION

How to Write Songs on Guitar - Revised UK VERSION

Find out how I turned 20 ideas into 20 songs: FREE SONGWRITING GUIDE.

# 3
Brad Litton
Brad Litton
01/11/2010 3:10 pm
Cool! I didn't know this book was such a good resource. I'm going to have to look it up. One book that really helped me a lot was Songwriting For Dummies. I know the 'Dummies' books have a bad rap, but I always find them packed with useful information and incredibly helpful.
# 4
Kwote
Kwote
01/26/2010 4:03 am
Also for writing I suggest getting Guitar Pro 5 http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

It's a pretty cheap program and it will notate and tab out everything you write as well as play it back for you in midi format. This is very helpful if you aren't the type who hears the music in their head before they write it out.
# 5
mrno
mrno
02/14/2010 7:57 am
I would just like to add, that while a songwriting book is helpful, the best way to learn about songwriting, is by actually writing songs.

If you're just starting out, and you don't think you're very good, just write songs for only you to hear. But, keep writing everyday, and explore new ideas with chords and harmony. Eventually, you'll start figuring it out on your own, and your songs will sound better and better.

That's what I did for a long time, before I felt like I could show my music to other people.
# 6
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2010 2:50 am
Originally Posted by: mrnoI would just like to add, that while a songwriting book is helpful, the best way to learn about songwriting, is by actually writing songs.

If you're just starting out, and you don't think you're very good, just write songs for only you to hear. But, keep writing everyday, and explore new ideas with chords and harmony. Eventually, you'll start figuring it out on your own, and your songs will sound better and better.

That's what I did for a long time, before I felt like I could show my music to other people.

Agreed! You honestly aren't going to find the inspiration necessary to write great music in a book. It has to come from within and while books have some good insight into chord progressions, etc.; you simply have to conduct a trial and error process with your music.

Try this; write a song a day. Even if it is simple. You honestly have to start somewhere, and why not there. Take a month, and try to write a song a day. Even if it is only a few bars, or a few minutes. Have an idea, and take it as far as you can go and than that's it. Next day, start something else. Use this as a way to be able to hone your skills to the best of your ability each day. After a month of doing this, there is no way that your song writing can not benefit. I am a firm believer that song writing is a skill that takes honing just like your instrument, and you really can get better at it the more you work at it.

See how this works and keep me posted. It is always better to start today than tomorrow. :p
Douglas Showalter
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.