View post (Building an electric guitar)

View thread

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
01/24/2010 7:36 pm
Made some adjustments today. In pic 18 you can see the 'before' shot. The fretboard is just a bit too high. Also, the body portion that the neck connects to is much too thick and bulky, without alot of screw getting through to the neck. So pic 19 shows how I put to pieces of stock on either side to support the router, and then shaved off 1/16th of an inch, making the pocket that much deeper (the new fit is show in pic 20). After that, I still had some room to get the screws to bite deeper as well making the neck's higher frets a bit more accessable. Taking a cue from what I had just done, I flipped the body over, used the stock as supports again, and cut out 1/4 inch using the router. (See pic 21). The lip left over after the routing was sanded down to a smooth curve with a belt sander.

Pic 22 shows the three way switch hole at the top, the bridge humbucker cavity on the left, and one of the bridge holes near center. I angled a drill and made a hole from the bridge hole to the main control cavity in the back. Now I can install a grounding wire when I install the bridge insert.

The last pic, #23, shows the body hanging in my shop. A piece of stock is attached to the body in place of the neck so I can hold on to it while spraying and to give me a place to attach a hook so I can hang it up. I will probably spray everything outside, but now I can hang it inside for drying.

I think I've taken care of everything I need to do before finishing. I'm pretty sure no more holes or routing need done, and I've test fit everthing. Next step is to mask off some of the holes (like the bridge insert holes) so I don't build up a layer of paint in there. Then on to the sealer.

And good news! I got laid off from my job so I will have PLENTY of time to work on the finish! Sometimes good things just happen to good people.....

GG