View post (Building an electric guitar)

View thread

GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
12/05/2009 9:04 pm
Okay, the build is about to begin! Need some advice again.

I have a strat type neck, 21 frets, rosewood fretboard, truss rod already installed, and a paddle head. Also is a 21 by 14 by 1 7/8th block of kiln dried ash.

I've decided on a V shape, which I have sketched out on the block, as big as I could get it (still seems more narrow than a Gibson). Looking at two TOG Turbobuckers for the pickups, a volume and two tone knobs, a 3 way switch, and strat style 1/4in plug-in. A tunomatic type bridge with ferrules going thru the body to secure the strings. The scale length is 25.5 inches.

Here's what I need to know about....haven't decided on a pickguard or not. I think a pickguard would be easier, but I would need a custom cut to match the V. OR...If I go for no pickguard (which I think I prefer) does anyone have any info on how to route the cavities for the humbuckers and pots from the back? Also, what about the mounting the pots from the back? How much thickness do I leave between the cavity bottom and the front face of the guitar? Are there pots with long arms to reach farther? Is there a place where I can get templates or something to help out with placement of everything? Which type of pot (250 or 500) should I use?

Also, I marked the spot for the tunomatic bridge at the 25.5 inch mark. How far back should I drill the holes for the strings to pass through the body? Does it make a difference? Any hints/tips on installing ferrules? seems like it would be easy to screw that up so the strings don't go though easily etc.

Lot's of question because I need lots of help, hehe. Keep in mind this guitar is my first build, the one to learn on, so I'm staying cheap and simple for the most part. I hope to wind up with a playable training guitar I can give to one of my kids and a better knowledge of what I'm doing so I can step up a bit on quality and difficulty with the next project guitar.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I plan on taking pics and posting my progress on the forum.

GG