I got one for ya'll

Al McKay
Al McKay
11/29/2009 2:02 am
On my acoustic I just changed my strings and I keep breaking my G string before i get it in tune. I am using a .030 G. I've never had this happen before. I can get it to F or F# then it breaks. Have gone through 3 strings now. Could it be a mechanial problem with the guitar? I don't think I had 3 defective strings in a row. Any one know or heard of this???

Al
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
11/29/2009 3:41 am
Where is it breaking? Same place every time?

Is this the same gauge you've been using all along? if you have gone up in gauge size, the string might be binding in the slot (if that's where it's breaking).

Is the bridge or nut damaged in anyway? It might not be something you noticed happening at the time. Did it shear off, perhaps leaving a sharp edge?

Do all the other string manage ok? I would expect the e & B strings to manage, but how about the other wounds?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
11/29/2009 6:31 am
Originally Posted by: Al McKayOn my acoustic I just changed my strings and I keep breaking my G string before i get it in tune. I am using a .030 G. I've never had this happen before. I can get it to F or F# then it breaks. Have gone through 3 strings now. Could it be a mechanial problem with the guitar? I don't think I had 3 defective strings in a row. Any one know or heard of this???

Al

.030 Wound G ?- that's a pretty big G string - even heavies(14-59s) usually have a .027 at most for a G string. What string set are you using.

I would say its a different gauge and binding at the nut or saddle as well. If not, take a pencil lead(graphite) and use it in the slot of the nut on that string and the saddle notch as well and see what happens.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 3
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
12/03/2009 12:27 am
Had the same problem a few weeks ago. It was binding in the nut, a rub with a small file and some graphite fixed the problem.

GG
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.